Backlight bleed opinions

soldierblue

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 20, 2010
Messages
358
http://i.imgur.com/gTl09.jpg

It's a Planar PX2710MW. I'm mainly bothered by the bottom. I'd RMA it but I'm not sure I can expect it to be all that much better considering this one has no pixel issues whatsoever. Do anyone of you guys have experiences with this model, maybe even swapping them out and seeing how consistent they are?
 
Well, personally, when I looked at the picture, the bleed didn't seem so bad.
 
The bleeding looks similar to the samsungs I´ve owned (two S23A750D and one SA27950D). Personally that would bug the hell out of me in dark scenes/movies.But I´m kinda spoiled after throwing the Samsungs in the trash pile and settling for a HP zr2740w
 
WTF? No idea what other people find "normal", but that backlight bleeding would bug the hell out of me. Is MichaelH serious?

Maybe I'm too picky, because the ZR22w I've been on for the past 2+ years doesn't have any, but if it did I would've returned it the first day. That is not "excellent" in my book, and in fact is as unacceptable to me as a single dead/stuck pixel. You're obviously running a good rig, so why waste money on a display with shitty imperfections as obvious as backlight bleed?
 
WTF? No idea what other people find "normal", but that backlight bleeding would bug the hell out of me. Is MichaelH serious?

but if it did I would've returned it the first day. That is not "excellent" in my book, and in fact is as unacceptable to me as a single dead/stuck pixel.

I have to agree. That is excessive backlight bleed. Many people return displays that are are only bleeding like how yours is on the right side though just as many would consider that minimal. You have bleeding all the way along the top and the bottom as well and that is far from minimal.
 
Theres to much bleed in that in my opinion.

RMA the puppy.
 
Spoke with Planar, they'll do an advance RMA. Just need to wait so I can cover the card authorization.
 
Actually I'm still within my 30 days. So Newegg will do an advance replacement and not put a hold on my account.

Done.
 
WTF? No idea what other people find "normal", but that backlight bleeding would bug the hell out of me. Is MichaelH serious?

Maybe I'm too picky, because the ZR22w I've been on for the past 2+ years doesn't have any, but if it did I would've returned it the first day. That is not "excellent" in my book, and in fact is as unacceptable to me as a single dead/stuck pixel. You're obviously running a good rig, so why waste money on a display with shitty imperfections as obvious as backlight bleed?


Here's what my last two $500 IPS monitors looked like:

850backlightbleed.jpg


I would never return a monitor with that little backlight bleed as the OP had. Crazy (especially if it had no other problems).
 
Here's what my last two $500 IPS monitors looked like:

I would never return a monitor with that little backlight bleed as the OP had. Crazy (especially if it had no other problems).

Most people would say you keeping a $500 monitor with that much backlight bleed is crazy and it is. That is absolutely insane for a monitor in that price tier to be that flawed. Going by that photo you have bleed, flashlighting and a bit of clouding as well.

Here is a photo of minimal blacklight bleed from TFT Central's review of Dell's U2312HM. That's a far cheaper monitor with less flaws than your monitor has.

Either your trolling or you don't care about backlight bleed at all.
 
I didn't keep either of those monitors. The backlight bleed was horrible, and far worse than the OP's.
 
Ah I see now where you're coming from, MichaelH. Oh dear, I just sold my ZR22w with no backlight bleed because I need the money to rebuild my PC, but now I'm worried if it's that hard to find a good panel (mine had no dead/stuck pixels, no backlight bleed)... :(
 
I didn't keep either of those monitors. The backlight bleed was horrible, and far worse than the OP's.

Oh ok, like Wage said, that puts what you were saying into perspective. I made the assumption you kept that display rather than returning it. Yes, compared to yours the OP's bleed is minimal so, I can see why you would be willing to keep it.
 
Yeah both monitors were Samsung S24850's. Amazon was very gracious in their service, but the quality control of those monitors was horrible. Even my gf, who hates tech stuff and says I'm way too anal about tech looked at them and said "I wouldn't keep that".

The bleed in the OP's monitor is better or similar to most monitors I've tried, and obviously much better than the image I provided.

The bleed was so bad on the Samsung's that it created a distracting "pincher" effect just above the bottom bezel. So distracting. Here's what the bleed looks like on my current TN ( a samsung T240) panel which I kept over the 24a850:

240backlightbleed.jpg


The T240 has much better build than the s24850. Much better. The bleed is better too, and I don't find it distracting. However, the viewing angles and color are superior on the s24850. I prefer the TN panel for text work.
 
I'll have the other one Thursday. If it's worse I'll probably return both and get an UltraSharp.
 
This one is similar, but is definitely less intense. What can you expect for a $240 TN panel? My next monitor will absolutely be a 1440p IPS. I'd just like Kepler to come out first to drive it.
 
I think the OP is seeing an inherent flaw in edge lit technology and I bet all panels of that model will have a brighter bottom row
 
I think the OP is seeing an inherent flaw in edge lit technology and I bet all panels of that model will have a brighter bottom row

An inherent flaw I could not live with for my television and that's why I got a plasma (knowing its inherent flaws). I haven't updated my monitor in years (going on 5 now), and I am afraid its going to be difficult to buy something that will have BLB, flashlighting and/or clouding.
 
This one is similar, but is definitely less intense. What can you expect for a $240 TN panel? My next monitor will absolutely be a 1440p IPS. I'd just like Kepler to come out first to drive it.


A waste of time. At some point in the search for a monitor you have to weigh possible "defects" against the current norm, the cost of returning, and the value of your time.
 
I had bad backlight bleed with my first PX2611w, called Planar and they gave me a RMA number, paid shipping both ways. I think turn-around time was 2 weeks or so. Replacement unit is extremely uniform, no issues. That was about a year ago.
 
A waste of time. At some point in the search for a monitor you have to weigh possible "defects" against the current norm, the cost of returning, and the value of your time.

/shrug

The cost of returning was $0 ,it was an advance replacement so I was never without a monitor and it took all of 15 minutes to pack up the old one and drop it off at UPS.
 
Ugh, MichaelH. The way you talk about so many panels being trash, I'm seriously reconsidering ever purchasing from Samsung. (I was considering their LFD line as NEC's are very hard to find for cheap.)
 
I gave up on samsung in 2008 when I bought a tv and it had horrible uniformity. That's when I learned about the panel lottery game you have to play with them. I don't know if that is still the case today but it left a real sour taste in my mouth for that company.

I really wish QC for uniformity was a bigger issue to manufacturers.
 
Tell me about it, before this I'd picked up a Samsung S27A550. It was awful, it's like they don't even care. I also had one of their Galaxy Tabs, on that front I got so tired of their 'why release a software update when we can release new hardware approach', I sold it. Samsung is one of those companies that I won't buy from anymore. Asus is another one. But that's another story.

I just wish QC in general was more of a concern.
 
I also had one of their Galaxy Tabs, on that front I got so tired of their 'why release a software update when we can release new hardware approach', I sold it. Samsung is one of those companies that I won't buy from anymore.

That's the same business model Nokia has as well. They had several things in beta for the S^1 devices then suddenly posted that they were ending the betas and that all the fixes and features would be available on the S^3 devices and that you would need to buy a new phone if you wished to take advantage of them.
 
i thought that i would ask in this thread, as it might be more appropriate than in the dell st2220t thread.

based off reviews and feedback from this forum, i decided to purchase a dell st2220t monitor. while i'm happy with the responsiveness, color quality, and other features of the monitor, i have been bugged by backlight bleed issues. i have spoken to dell support and received three replacement monitors to date, and they're starting to push back on me, stating that it's not a quality control issue on their end, but instead something wrong with my video card, computer, or cables.

i've uploaded and labeled four pictures, one of each monitor, and was wondering if any of the monitors (especially my fourth and current monitor) have acceptable backlight bleed levels to you all. to me, the two monitors that look better are #2 and #4, but i still feel like #4 is not acceptable. am i being too picky?

http://imgur.com/a/M6mxZ#0
 
Every photo in this thread looks like a really bad case of backlight bleed. It makes me wonder if all these monitors really are that bad or if it's a case of incorrect photography technique / camera settings. Do the photos match what you're seeing?
 
Back
Top