Backlight bleed: how much is acceptable?

Adrgha

n00b
I recently bought an LG W2600HP S-IPS 26" screen, and I love it to bits except for one thing; heavy backlight bleed at the top of the screen. I've only had TN panels in the past, and while they've all had some level of bleed, they've never been as bad as the one spot on my new screen. I didn't expect it to be completely bleed free, but neither did I expect the bleed to be so incredibly bright. I've seen some pictures from other users of this screen, and they seem to have nothing more than faint shadows of bleed in the lower corners. I've tried to take a picture that shows the bleed I'm talking about, but it isn't easy without proper equipment and very limited lightning (I live north of the polar circle, thus close to no daylight these days):

Untitled-1-2.jpg

Please note that what looks like bleed in the lower corners is not there IRL. I'm not sure if it just an effect of the anti-glare coating or something, but the screen appears completely bleed free except for the area I've marked in red.

I've had the screen for 3 weeks now, and initially I didn't think the bleed was that bad. In fact I can't see it under normal usage (windows, browsing and games) but it comes extremely apparent when I put on 16:9 material or films with an even wider aspect ratio (black bars). Last night I watched a BluRay film that had some very dark scenes, and that's when I decided I would try to do something about it because the bleed completely ruined the scenes. I've sent an e-mail to both LG and the e-tailer I bought the screen from, but I'm not sure what the policy on this is. What do you guys think? Does this look like an acceptable level of backlight bleed, or should I demand RMA for a replacement?

Edit: Also notable is that the screen itself seems loose in the bezel. When I press the screen lightly in the middle it will "click" like it isn't fastened properly. The level of bleed also changes when it clicks.

I don't like the splotchy look of that bleed at all. I'd ask for a replacement personally.

Adrgha said:
Last night I watched a BluRay film that had some very dark scenes, and that's when I decided I would try to do something about it because the bleed completely ruined the scenes.
Personally i think that statement says it all, and that the matter should already have been decided. If the backlight bleed is intense enough to "completely ruin the scenes" then you have your answer.

Adrgha said:
Edit: Also notable is that the screen itself seems loose in the bezel. When I press the screen lightly in the middle it will "click" like it isn't fastened properly. The level of bleed also changes when it clicks.
You're findings aren't far off the mark. This thread should offer some insight as to what causes backlight bleed.

I've disassembled/reassembled several monitors in the past, and accidently discovered some of the causes of backlight bleed, and at the same time i discovered a couple of ways of lessening it. But it can be a time consuming and risky process, so for new monitors i'd recommend an RMA/exchange or refund ;)

Good luck either way.

Thanks for your input guys. As I said I've sent an email to both LG and the e-tailer, with a photo attachment along with an explanation. I just hope they see it as reason enough to give me an RMA on it, although I have a sneaky suspicion that they will try to tell me it's "normal". I want another screen of the same model though, because apart from this it's an amazing screen. A guy over at another forum sent me pictures of his screen, and the bleed on that can't even be compared to what I'm seeing... so I guess mine is just a DUD.

Well I talked to both the e-tailer and LG today. The e-tailer told me to sent it to them so that they can take a look at it. LG told me to send the screen to their service partner as it's been more than 14 days since I purchased it. Had I notified them before the 14 days were over I would get a new one without questions... seems a bit stupid to me. I kept telling the guy that I really don't think there's anything they could repair on it, but he didn't seem to know what the hell I was talking about. He even asked me twice if it was a TV (even though I gave him the model number at the start of the conversation). So I think I'll go with the e-tailer route and let them handle it. I'm not overly impressed by LG's level of service here.

Back