Backing up Server 2008 w/virtual box VM running

Corporal79

Gawd
I'm looking for some guidance on a good solution for backing up a single physical server, with a possible gotcha. This server is running a linux VM through virtualbox. Total backup is about 700GB and the internet connection is 8/8 if that changes anything for offsite replication recommendations.

The server is currently using Windows Server Backup successfully (well the backups complete successfully at least) and the owner would like the backups kicked offsite in case something happens to the building or storage onsite. In Q1 2016 (most likely March) there will be a move from this single physical server to a two host virtual environment utilizing Veeam or ShadowProtect replicated offsite most likely to wherever we choose the solution I'm looking for now to be sent off to.

My biggest concern is that the virtualbox VM will cause some kind of hiccup in the backup process, I don't know if VSS will get mess with the running VM or if it will be no issue at all. Anyone run into this?

Thank you

virtualize Win Server 2008(license is included). run W2008 and Linux directly on Hyper-V. then you can backup both VMs using Veeam, instead of dealing with different backup software for each kind of server.

virtualize Win Server 2008(license is included). run W2008 and Linux directly on Hyper-V. then you can backup both VMs using Veeam, instead of dealing with different backup software for each kind of server.

By March this will be the case but right now there is no additional hardware to support the virtualization of the Windows Server 2008 and Linux VM. I have a solution for that scenario, what I don't know is if switching to Shadowprotect will break something during the backup process because there is a vm running on it or not

Back