backing up over a network. What to use

delemorte

Gawd
I know this has been hashed out before but i cant find the threads for anything....

basicly i have two servers. One is a file server running 2k3 and the other is a DC running SBS 2008. I used to run LSAS on the 2k3 and backed up to the old DC, which was also 2k3, then backed up the DC to a NAS drive.

Well since i upgraded to 2008 SBS LSAS wont back up to those shares on that box. I figure its time to upgrade any way.

What LSAS was doing was doing a weekly base backup with daily incrimentals. Then after 8 weeks of that would ditch the oldest set so it only kept 2 months worth of back ups. I would really like something similar. I played with backup exec and its just not the same...

Backing up across the network is the only feesable option so i would like to stick with those options please...

Any suggestions? I would really like a 30-60 day trial before i buy so i can play with it.

thanks!

Edit: This is a very simple network and the back up needs to also remain simple...

maybe overkill for what you need but have look at symantec backup exec. you have to have a remote client license to backup a networked server but it will do it.

Delemorte,

BackupAssist is what I use for my smaller companies. It does all the things you want in your post and is very inexpensive. Backup Exec is overkill for something like what you want, and expensive.

Do a google search for backupassist as I am new and dont know for sure what the policy is for linking :confused:

Last edited:
Delemorte,

BackupAssist is what I use for my smaller companies. It does all the things you want in your post and is very inexpensive. Backup Exec is overkill for something like what you want, and expensive.

Do a google search for backupassist as I am new and dont know for sure what the policy is for linking :confused:

I actually have a 30 day demo of back up assist running now.. just to see how i like it.

Good to hear! Really easy tool/overlay to use. The SQL add on works great too if you wanted to know. I havent used the exchange add on that splits to PST files as opposed to brick level. Good Luck!

Back