backing up music MP3

dj-otto

n00b
Hi,

I bought a second My Book (500 G) to back up my music. I tried to use windows copy and paste, before with mixed results. What’s a good program to ensure a good copy? I have somewhere around 300 G to copy.

I tried Ghost, it’s seems to me it’s for just backing up the main drive (operating systems). I am looking something free (are not we all). It should be a simple copy program.

When I used windows the computer or drives timed out. When this happened there is no record of what was copied or not. This is my problem.

Thanks

Are you using an indexing program like Itunes, or WMP.
Ironically the only effective method I found for copying my music was using Copy and Paste.
I wouldnt try to do it all at once. Do it in chunks, like 50gb at a time. Are all 300gb's seperate files. No RAR's or things like it?
I have a 1TB MyBook, and all I do is select the My Music folder. Copy and Paste and leave it overnight to finish up. Done that a few times and never had a problem.
Make sure you are not having some random errors with Files/Folders that are Read-Only (can sometimes hang up even with copy, instead of cut), and that no one single file exceeds 4GB.

Also the MyBook should have proprietary software (on the Drive, or on WD's website) for backup purposes.

I like Robocopy. Do a search for it. There's a free gui based version of it that works very nicely. It's a very powerful program.

Back