Backing up entire drive

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
G'day all,

I currently have a G.Skill Pheonix Pro 60gb in my desktop. I want to test how well it runs in my 1000H eeePC as I'm going overseas and was hoping buying an SSD for my very old and very sluggish 1000H would be sufficient instead of buying a new lappy.

Anyway, I dont want to buy an SSD and decide its not sufficient and waste the money, but the SSD in my desktop is my main drive, I really dont want to have to go through and reinstall everything on it again (especially since very little is actually installed on the SSD, its installed on my other drives through the OS on the SSD, also I have symlinks all over the place pointing to different places on different drives).

Is there an easy and reliable way to backup the entire SSD to one of my other HDDs, wipe it, test how it runs in the eeePC, then restore the backup to the SSD and have my desktop running as it is now with no annoying broken links to old programs, no software unactivating itself and the MBR intact (as the MBR I believe is currently on the SSD). I can chuck the SSD into another computer as a secondary drive and do the backup and restore from there is that is simpler.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Have you used clonezilla for a similar task and found it reliable enough? Will that screw up the bootloader in my multiboot-multiHDD system and require a windows 7 repair and will it require me to reactivate software once its finished?

Back