• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Backing up a RAID5 array?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
9,484
What is the best way to backup a RAID5 (old system that runs on Linux)? Is it somehow possible to pop in a TB harddrive, then produce an image of each HDD in the array?
 
If you backup through the OS, or outside of the OS but using imaging that works with your RAID controller (hardware RAID)...just backup like it's regular drive.
 
I backup the files on my RAID array, not the RAID set itself. I have a nightly script that backs up everything (important) to a NAS.
 
AFAIK the whole array appears as a single drive. So just back that up.
Hmm, yes.. I could pop in a TB HDD, bootup a live disk of some sort (that has the appropriate tool), and backup to the TB HDD.

Golly, I wonder if this server will even support a TB HDD.
 
I usually use rsync file level backups. Only time I image is if it's an OS partition as it saves tons of time to just restore an image vs reconfiguring everything, if the OS is lost.
 
In my scenario, it would be better if I didn't have to reinstall and reconfigure everything. ;\
 
Back
Top