Back up/Syncing Between Drives

FireStormGS

[H]ard|Gawd
I have one large hard drive in my computer that I keep work and back ups on, and another one in an external enclosure. Instead of having to manually copy each folder over every time I want to backup, I'm looking for a program that would be able to automatically sync the drives for me. The program would go through certain folders on the one drive and copy and new or updated files to the external drive. I'm sure they're several programs to do this, but what have you had experience with and what works well. Thanks.

Instead of downloading a program to do the job, you could create a batch script.

Open Notepad and type in:

xcopy C:\"Path\To\Source\" E:\"Path\To\Desination\" /e /v

Save the file with the .bat extension.

If you wanted to, you could use a tool called IExpress (run iexpress.exe) and make the .bat file an .exe that would run it for you (you wouldn't have to see the command line pop up).

I use SyncToy, and it works great. It even let's you schedule the backups.

Thanks guys, synctoy seems to do exactly what I need fairly easily. I had one problem with it though. I have 17 folders on my main drive and only 14 of those folders are backed up. synctoy wouldn't remember which folders not to copy over even though I set the subfolders. I ended up having to make 14 paired folders so it wouldnt touch the temporary ones I didn't want backed up.

Back