Back in the [H]orde!!

Update on the GTX 960: it's running at a boost clock of 1367 and drawing 105 watts while folding a 10478 unit.
Per fahcontrol the tpf is 5:05, which is almost approx 135k ppd.

Nice TJ

It appears that the GPUs.txt file I originally downloaded was corrupt in some way because after downloading a second one and putting it in the var/lib/fahclient folder the rig recognized the GTX 980 Classified with 355.11 drivers. :cool: It has been folding happily @ 1531Mhz for a day now with no problems running a cool 51C at 60% fan speed avg around 430k.

Over the next few days I will be bumping the Classys up to see where they are going to max out. When running Poem@Home on them I could run at 1600Mhz so we will see if I can get there on fah. So far no bump has been needed to get them to run where they are at, but with the bios I have flashed them to I can go to 1.4v and 169% on the power slider so as scotty8 would say, I can Grandpa them and push them to 12 if I feel like it. :D

I pulled the trigger on a EVGA GTX 970 FTW 2.0 last night. First GPU I've bought in a while. :D

I pulled the trigger on a EVGA GTX 970 FTW 2.0 last night. First GPU I've bought in a while. :D

I am pondering buying a 970 which would probably replace my 780ti if the dollars ppd and watts look good enough. The cost of electricity here in central cali is a bit too steep for me to feed more than 2 gpus.

Well, as of 5 minutes ago I just joined the [H]orde. No idea what I'm really doing but if it helps somebody why not. Not doing anything crazy. Just the regular F@H with my 3770k with and 2 OG Titans. Need to read up on all the different projects going on.

I am pondering buying a 970 which would probably replace my 780ti if the dollars ppd and watts look good enough. The cost of electricity here in central cali is a bit too steep for me to feed more than 2 gpus.

TJ I am getting between 262k and 419k depending on wu most are in the 300k to 320k range on my 970 SC running at 1500Mhz using around 170 Watts (Linux OS), I have not put a watt meter on it but 170 W is supposed to be max and since I have it OC I would guess max watts are being used.

Well, as of 5 minutes ago I just joined the [H]orde. No idea what I'm really doing but if it helps somebody why not. Not doing anything crazy. Just the regular F@H with my 3770k with and 2 OG Titans. Need to read up on all the different projects going on.

Welcome rc3ilynt it is good to have you aboard. What you are doing is folding :D

But seriously the short version you are running protein development simulation research software trying to discover new paths for cures for diseases. Hopefully we are all helping humanity to live a longer and better life. :)

Two Titans are crazy enough and welcome ...

If not yet done make sure to register a passkey to get the QRB (Quick Return Bonus) as described here: http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-passkey/

Will need 10 WU to be returned without issues to qualify the passkey with your combination of donor name and passkey. After that the bonus kicks in.

Welcome to the [H]orde!

brilong did you switch over some more rigs or did it just go up that much from running 2 - smp slots per rig. I saw your front for a second then the blades passed over my head so fast I did not even get a good trim. Now all I can see is your ass end. :(

Don't get too comfortable there I am headed back to fleabay. :D

Although I am so damn cheap it may take me a little while to get what I need but watch your rearview.I will start getting the blades sharpened up and see if I can give you a better trim than you just gave me. :cool:

Funny guy. I just received my first GTX 970 so it's time to install it in my home rig and fire it up. I bought new; you're buying GTX 9xx from eBay?

BTW, I have 14 nodes converted from BOINC / OGR-28 back to F@H. Once we pass Ukraine at OGR-28, I plan to migrate more to F@H. I'm still solely CPU-based except for the new GTX 970 and the Titan Black.

Last edited:
What happened to the 570's you were getting for GIMPS?

Funny guy. I just received my first GTX 970 so it's time to install it in my home rig and fire it up. I bought new; you're buying GTX 9xx from eBay?

BTW, I have 14 nodes converted from BOINC / OGR-28 back to F@H. Once we pass Ukraine at OGR-28, I plan to migrate more to F@H. I'm still solely CPU-based except for the new GTX 970 and the Titan Black.

Yep just got a evga 970 sc from ebay last week for $250 and I bought one of my GTX 980 Classified cards a month ago for $375 like I said I am Cheap. :D

Right now I have my eye on a couple of Titans but I am pretty sure they will get up to more than I am willing to pay.

What happened to the 570's you were getting for GIMPS?

I ended up getting a few 580's for GIMPS, but I moved off GIMPS when they were having server problems and I didn't have time to babysit the client on a daily basis. I was using the 580's for GPUGrid and POEM GPU units. In fact, some of them are still active doing that.

Finally got to the 100k point club. Now where's that thread I'm supposed to put milestones in.....

I have 2 of those strix 970s, good cards, I like em

I fired up a EVGA 970 superclocked this week. That dude uses a little over 140W and gets around 280,000 +. Not bad for spending $279 on a refurbished card.

I also have a GTX 960. For the price and what little power they use those cards kick ass. Spend 200 bucks and you get a card that gets over 150K ppd and uses 100W. Real world numbers vary due to clockspeed of course.

I've actually heard that the 750 Ti was the best performance/watt/dollar combo yet. Of course that was months ago. How to the 970/980/980 Ti compare I wonder? Anybody have an updated chart that lists these values? I was considering getting a 7-slot board and running all 750 Tis on PCI-E risers like the bitcoin miners do. I was looking at 2014 PPD and people were claiming close to 90k. Think a board would support all 7 slots full without additional PCI-E power? Are the 750 Tis still getting this kind of PPD? If so, I can pick up used 750 Tis cheap and put together a rig that does around 600k PPD with much less hassle on the power supply rigging.

I've actually heard that the 750 Ti was the best performance/watt/dollar combo yet. Of course that was months ago. How to the 970/980/980 Ti compare I wonder? Anybody have an updated chart that lists these values? I was considering getting a 7-slot board and running all 750 Tis on PCI-E risers like the bitcoin miners do. I was looking at 2014 PPD and people were claiming close to 90k. Think a board would support all 7 slots full without additional PCI-E power? Are the 750 Tis still getting this kind of PPD? If so, I can pick up used 750 Tis cheap and put together a rig that does around 600k PPD with much less hassle on the power supply rigging.

Investing in several 750Ti GPUs might not be the best idea once nvidia refreshes their GPU products later.

You also need a case to hold those GPUs, it can get quiet messy with all the wires dangling.

2 x 970's will get you nearly the same PPD for a lot less hassle and the same power draw.

As for a mobo with 7 PCIe slots, powered risers would be needed and something at the very top end of you preferred manuafacturers product range. Even a 7 slot dual cpu board doesn't provide extra power sockets for the PCIe lanes

Investing in several 750Ti GPUs might not be the best idea once nvidia refreshes their GPU products later.

You also need a case to hold those GPUs, it can get quiet messy with all the wires dangling.

I was thinking more of this kind of setup. Without the PCI-E power connections of course, and 7 cards instead of 5. I really have no idea if a motherboard is capable of that kind of draw, though, it would be interesting to know. Anybody try that... ever?

https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http://www.stomped.me/pics/100_0253.JPG&t=557&c=iuhyh1YWRn478w

2 x 970's will get you nearly the same PPD for a lot less hassle and the same power draw.

As for a mobo with 7 PCIe slots, powered risers would be needed and something at the very top end of you preferred manuafacturers product range. Even a 7 slot dual cpu board doesn't provide extra power sockets for the PCIe lanes

Thanks for the Info Nathan. Good point on the 970s, plus they'd likely have a bit more longevity. I thought the same thing when I purchased the 980 Tis. Performance per watt is on par with the 960/970/980, but per dollar I definitely went overboard. Once I find an updated chart I can make a better purchasing decision. Still wanting to get 3 or 4 cards in the same box if possible. Anybody know a way to do this long-term without running naked or watercooling? Any 970/980/980 Ti 3 or 4-way systems that don't overheat in less than an hour?

Thanks for the Info Nathan. Good point on the 970s, plus they'd likely have a bit more longevity. I thought the same thing when I purchased the 980 Tis. Performance per watt is on par with the 960/970/980, but per dollar I definitely went overboard. Once I find an updated chart I can make a better purchasing decision. Still wanting to get 3 or 4 cards in the same box if possible. Anybody know a way to do this long-term without running naked or watercooling? Any 970/980/980 Ti 3 or 4-way systems that don't overheat in less than an hour?

You're probably looking for the x16 riser with Molex power cable. The molex is necessary if you're going with 4+ GPUs, which allow the GPU to directly draw power from the power supply.

If you're serious about putting all that stuff in a case, you'd need a Corsair 900D (or a seriously big case) and replace all the fans with delta fans. Airflow is a serious issue and having GPUs next to each other require you to have the server fans that can run at 10k RPM or something.

IMO, watercooling costs too much to setup and the cost of the liquid leaking is even worse.

Last edited:
Still wanting to get 3 or 4 cards in the same box if possible. Anybody know a way to do this long-term without running naked or watercooling? Any 970/980/980 Ti 3 or 4-way systems that don't overheat in less than an hour?

You'd need a big case with at least 8 slots on the back plane and a mobo with 7 slots. If I was doing it on my Z9PE (7 PCIe x16) I'd put them in slots 1,4 and 7 to leave a little gap between them and as Beserk said get some serious heavy duty fans that can shift lots of air. Also I'd look at cards that had big beefy coolers on board and were not clocked to the max out the box, that way you could find a comfortable compromise between heat, power draw and speed

Yes, the downsides of 110/120v electricity. I'll stick with 3kw out of a single 240v socket:D

If you're lucky with a 240v socket, 120v sockets are more common in homes. You can hook 2 1.5kW power supplies to a motherboard if you only have 120v sockets (15A).

However, the 2 PSUs probably won't fit in that case as suggested by ChristianVirtual.

If you're lucky with a 240v socket, 120v sockets are more common in homes. You can hook 2 1.5kW power supplies to a motherboard if you only have 120v sockets (15A).

However, the 2 PSUs probably won't fit in that case as suggested by ChristianVirtual.

depends where in the wold you are, I'm in the UK so 240v is standard. Even fitting 2 PSU will only work as long as a:- your circuit can actually run a 30a load or b: the 2 15a sockets are fed off different circuits

It depends on the dimensions of your power supply units.

depends where in the wold you are, I'm in the UK so 240v is standard. Even fitting 2 PSU will only work as long as a:- your circuit can actually run a 30a load or b: the 2 15a sockets are fed off different circuits

I live in the US and we have many homes with 10A or 15A sockets (120v).

Back