B550 or B450 Mini Itx?

Gaffney982

Weaksauce
I've been debating about getting the newest B550 chipset but the price doesn't seem like I would hugely benefit over getting a previous gen B450 mini itx motherboard. I just got the new Inwin A1 Plus case and I'm downsizing my rig so I'm not sure which way to go. Get the newest or go with something a little more affordable and get the same results? I don't game a whole lot and use my desktop mostly as an overpowered Chromebook lol. The specs of the hardware that I have currently as follows: Ryzen 7 2700x with stock cooler, MSI X470 Gaming Plus, 2 x 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz, XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB nvme m.2 ssd, Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 5,400rpm 4tb drive (i'll be getting either 2 x 2tb sata ssd's or 1 x 4tb sata ssd) and a Red Devil Vega 64 (I checked and it barely fits in the Inwin A1 Plus).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you don't plan on getting Zen3, b450 is fine. Even the itx boards have sufficient vrms, so long as you do you research.

If b550 is close in price, get that of course. Some b450 are zen3 capable, but you get a few more features with b550 and bios support will most likely be better going forward.

Nightfire, I honestly find that the 2700X does everything I need with little to no bottlenecks......so far. I'm sure I'll find an application that'll bring the computer to a screeching halt and cause me to justify in my own mind, a cpu upgrade.

Nightfire, I honestly find that the 2700X does everything I need with little to no bottlenecks......so far. I'm sure I'll find an application that'll bring the computer to a screeching halt and cause me to justify in my own mind, a cpu upgrade.
If your sticking to the 2700x then you already made your choice... B550 is zen2/zen3 only. If you go B550 you must upgrade your CPU as well. I have 2 3700x, one in an asrock Fatal1ty b450 gaming itx and the.other in an MSI mpg gaming wifi b550... They run exactly the same, so whatever has what you need. The b550 has 2.5gbe and dual NVME, my itx is 1gbe and single nvme... Both had different uses.

Back