B3 Boards, Has anyone actually switched yet?

bobbagels

Weaksauce
Hello, Hello,

I just wanted to ask as I am about to physically switch the board out.
Has anyone switched their boards yet?
If so did you have to do anything such as Bios, drivers, windows?
Any problems?
I would just like to be prepared.

yes, no and no.

came with 1305

win7 enumerated all devices and installed them correctly on 1st boot,

no issues whatsoever.

Made the switch on one machine last night. The process I took:

Shut down the machine
Swapped out Mobo (came with 1305 bios)
Cleared CMOS before powering on
Went into the BIOS on first boot
Disabled the Marvel and JMB controllers
Saved & Exit -- Booted into Windows 7

On first boot, it loaded up all the drivers automatically. After two restarts, I came to the forums, to the BIOS thread Gary created and installed ALL of the latest drivers he listed:

Intel NIC
Intel Chipset
Intel MEI

Then I pulled the latest nVidia drivers from their site.

After all of that (maybe a half hour?) the system is running like a champ. It's performing MUCH better so far then the Rev 1.0 P8P67 Pro that we had. On the first motherboard, the computer would randomly lock up for 15-60 seconds at a time for no reason. I was attributing it to the SSD. However, the SSD was working flawlessly yesterday during my "play" period. Therefore either I had an affected motherboard or something was up with my previous BIOS/driver config. As of now though, everything is just peachy (knock on wood!).

Switched mine last night. I didn't even uninstall anything. Reconnected everything like I had before and it booted fine. Windows 7 installed all my drivers. Only thing I had to do was call MIcrosoft and reactivate. Painless process- took me 30 minutes. Great to have access to a few of my hard drives again.

ive noticed my temps have dropped a bit, and i have less latency

Just done my Deluxe, came with 1305, I removed the marvel and my add on sata card from device manager, powered off and changed over motherboards.

Win 7 booted, installed the drivers, rebooted and all is fine and dandy! :)

Boots faster than before as there is less delay before the bios loads on this board.

btw... My Raid 0 array was fine and picked up by the Intel bios on the sata3... along with my other drives and DVD on the "NEW" sata 2 ports!

Result... :)

Spoke too soon... windows failed to activate, tosser, grr!

Had to call the number and do a shit load of beeps... sorted now.

Spoke too soon... windows failed to activate, tosser, grr!

Had to call the number and do a shit load of beeps... sorted now.

if u have an OEM (system builder) copy of windows, that going to happen everytime you change the motherboard. It hashes the serial number/make/model/stepping etc into the activation string.

The OEM versions are tied to the specific motherboard initially installed on.

if u have an OEM (system builder) copy of windows, that going to happen everytime you change the motherboard. It hashes the serial number/make/model/stepping etc into the activation string.

The OEM versions are tied to the specific motherboard initially installed on.

It's not OEM it's retail... it's probably because I've activated too many times (3) in the past month.

Original build then decided to go raid 0 then again with this B3 version.

I should remember to uncheck the "auto activate when online" box!

My copy of Win 7 is retail too and I still had to activate. I assume it;s because I activated it less then 2 months ago when I originally built my new SB system.

I'm waiting for Superbiiz to get the Gigabyte UD4 in stock then I'll initiate the RMA with them.

Made the switch on one machine last night. The process I took:

Shut down the machine
Swapped out Mobo (came with 1305 bios)
Cleared CMOS before powering on
Went into the BIOS on first boot
Disabled the Marvel and JMB controllers
Saved & Exit -- Booted into Windows 7

On first boot, it loaded up all the drivers automatically. After two restarts, I came to the forums, to the BIOS thread Gary created and installed ALL of the latest drivers he listed:

Intel NIC
Intel Chipset
Intel MEI

Then I pulled the latest nVidia drivers from their site.

After all of that (maybe a half hour?) the system is running like a champ. It's performing MUCH better so far then the Rev 1.0 P8P67 Pro that we had. On the first motherboard, the computer would randomly lock up for 15-60 seconds at a time for no reason. I was attributing it to the SSD. However, the SSD was working flawlessly yesterday during my "play" period. Therefore either I had an affected motherboard or something was up with my previous BIOS/driver config. As of now though, everything is just peachy (knock on wood!).

Good to know not many problems so far, I will be doing the switch saturday. 1 question though. before installing latest drivers as per garys thread is there anything to uninstall first or install new drivers right over old ones?

My copy of Win 7 is retail too and I still had to activate. I assume it;s because I activated it less then 2 months ago when I originally built my new SB system.

you have to activate everytime you reinstall windows. No exceptions.

Usually its automated in the background and you dont really see it.

They make you call when there is an issue of some form. Speculation on what issue that might be is always fun.

lol

Good to know not many problems so far, I will be doing the switch saturday. 1 question though. before installing latest drivers as per garys thread is there anything to uninstall first or install new drivers right over old ones?

If you are just swapping in the new motherboard, you shouldn't have to install any drivers or anything - they are all still resident in the existing Win install. Windows'll probably rediscover some stuff (my hard drives, for example) but there is no need to install drivers (unless you want to update from older version) - in which case you can just install overtop the existing ones.

sort of...windows does need to "reinstall" all the drivers, as each of the busses has unique vendor ids that windows relies on for PNP detection, they will be slightly different with the new chipset stepping.

but, no disks/install packages will be required, as all the dirvers are already in the inf libraries and windows 7 installs them automatically (win xp does not!!) when it boots for the 1st time on the new board.

If you are just swapping in the new motherboard, you shouldn't have to install any drivers or anything - they are all still resident in the existing Win install. Windows'll probably rediscover some stuff (my hard drives, for example) but there is no need to install drivers (unless you want to update from older version) - in which case you can just install overtop the existing ones.

OK, thank you.

1 thing that urkes me though is it says B3 revision all over the box but not on the mainboard itself?

yeah, i ntocied that too. the board revision says 1.03, just like the b1 stepping.

but i guess technically, the board itself hasnt changed, just one of the chips.

lol

I installed my new B3 P8P67 Deluxe today and no probs. Didn't even have to reactivate windows.

I just had one issue after the switch, Windows didn't see my Ethernet port. I went to device manager and told windows to find the driver. It did and everything is fine.

I have OEM, and Windows wanted reactivating, but I didn't have to call them it was just automatic.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for Superbiiz to get the Gigabyte UD4 in stock then I'll initiate the RMA with them.

Don't wait for superbiiz, just call gigabyte themselves and initiate the RMA directly through them. You'll have the board shipped out this week - that's what they're doing with my replacement UD7.

Got my B3 p8p67 pro board last night and got everything switched out. The only issues i ran into were some wiered issues with speedstep not working off the bat and unable to OC with the AI suite. I had to go into the ezmode uefi and set it to performance and then reboot, set it back to standard and then go back into advanced and make the necessary changes. After that everything is working great. Also had to reactivate windows by phone, but they made it much easier than it was with xp (dont have to wait to talk to an actual person from god knows where, just key in a bunch of numbers)

It's not OEM it's retail... it's probably because I've activated too many times (3) in the past month.

Original build then decided to go raid 0 then again with this B3 version.

I should remember to uncheck the "auto activate when online" box!

Better still, also unplug any network connections ?

To OP - it is worth making sure that all drivers are bang up to date before the change.
One minor possible issue is that your the BIOS may pick up your disks in a different order but the Boot order sequence should find the right one.
- if you have a sound system now you will have another sound system an hour or so later:)

So far so good. Got the new board today and installed. For some reason I had to reinstall the Realtek sound drivers as Windows didn't even see the onboard sound. Other than that I reinstalled the Intel crap... all seems good!

Back