B3: A thin Steam Machine based case

dondan

[H]ard|Gawd
>> The last days I had a lof of time, so i designed a new Case <<

The new Case is not the A+, but a case based on the original Steam Machine. The name isn&#8217;t final but I called it actual B3.

Technical Spec&#8217;s:
  • Dimensions: 68.5mm, 316.5mm, 306mm (HxBxT)
  • Volume: 6,63 Liter
  • Graficcard: max length 295mm, dualslot
  • Motherboard: ITX
  • Power-Supply: SFX, SFX-L and HD-Plex250W + 120mm Fan
  • Harddrive: 2x 2,5&#8220; HDD/SSD
  • Cooler: CPU-Cooler max height up to 48mm
The case development is actual in a final state and could be build.
Iam not sure if I should support default GPU brackets or custom brackets like in the drawings. The advantage of custom brackets is that I could make the case width 20-25mm smaller.

By using the HDPlex 250W DC-Powerboard, it is possible to mount a 120mm Fan with an 120m AIO Watercoolingsolution under it.

The case consist out of less party and is very easy to bend.

Pictures:

All pictures not as thumpnail (full size):
1oej5h.jpg

2pwkax.jpg

3rnj0j.jpg

408kc8.jpg

5f6kqq.jpg

7c2ks9.jpg

vergleichqxj31.jpg

render1_2rbsxd.jpg

render2_2rusr8.jpg

]

Last edited:
Nice! I rather like folded designs. It looks like the PSU could be rotated by 90° and save a bit more volume (at the cost of max GPU length).

I like this type of design because it is space efficient, but I think it's a problem that the GPU and CPU fan are on opposite sides. So if you have it on a table, the GPU will blow onto the surface it's standing on...

Looks awesome ! Very interested in the photo's of the real thing !

@Edz: Sry this is not possible SFX base = 100x125mm if i rotate this i save 25mm but i lose this for the psu power cord. I need 30mm for the power-cord.

@andgo: Every gpu blow the air to the pcb so the air could only be suck out of the buttom and not blow to it.

@rawrr: That would be great :).

I think the cpu temperatur should be the same and the gpu would be a bit higer (2-4°C) in the B3.

Ok then :D

It'll take a few days though, I like refining things loads!

Also you should consider the website idea. It would be great platform where you could lead new people to your cases, where you could sell the cases, where you could do the interest list, etc...

And yeah, that interest list is pretty important if you want to time kickstarter well!

I like this type of design because it is space efficient, but I think it's a problem that the GPU and CPU fan are on opposite sides. So if you have it on a table, the GPU will blow onto the surface it's standing on...

You can just use decently sized case feet and have plenty of room to suck in air :)

Dondan, nicely designed case -- I think the dual-piece clamshell design will make production of this case much more cost effective and relatively easy to assemble!

You can just use decently sized case feet and have plenty of room to suck in air :)

Dondan, nicely designed case -- I think the dual-piece clamshell design will make production of this case much more cost effective and relatively easy to assemble!

Hey Machupo, I was a big fan of your Neutronium V3 and V4! I heard V4 was scrapped in the end though... It had so much potential. :(

I was thinking about trying to make my own V4, but I don't think I have the skill... Or access to a aluminum fabricator.

What do you think custom brackets for the GPU to save space? Then the case will be limited to Nvidia and AMD default Bracket like the most cards use. Only some manufractures like Gainward/Palit, Saphire, Asus use other Brakets for their custom cards. But 80% of the cards should fit.

Or supporting every dualslot bracket?

>> 6,63L vs. 7,15L <<

How about a HDD and slim odd rack above the GPU?
I would use this as a HTPC, and don't feel like getting an external ODD, or external HDD for my movie collection.
Also I would prefer that the entire GFX card is vented, as most cards don't use reference heatsinks, or have the same length.

A rack would allow much more different builds. ODD/SSD/HDDs, along with M.2 ssd's on the motherboard.

I would love the custom brackets. Do you think the GPU is supported enough if you place the case horizontal?

Hi killerfromsky,

actual you can mount 2x 2,5" drives under the gpu but therotical it is possible to make a construction that can supoort 2x2,5" drives and a slim odd over the gpu.
I can add mountingholes for 120mm slim fans under the gpu.

The last question i do not understand. :)

Dondan please answer my questions about the website/waiting list! :p

Also custom brackets sound cool, even if not every gpu is supported.

@dondan, nice work, I like your design! :) Where did you get the riser CAD model you show in your design? It looks much more detailed than what I've been able to find in the past.

Last edited:
I build it by myself ;) The measures comes from my original one.

@rawrr: I will start creating a website in the next weeks. On this side you can join the waitinglist :)

I build it by myself ;) The measures comes from my original one.

@rawrr: I will start creating a website in the next weeks. On this side you can join the waitinglist :)

Ok, that's great! If you want I could do some of the text.

And any progress on the A4? I know you've got some new cut pieces recently, what's your plan for the next few weeks?

Is there enough space for a 2.5" drive in front of the GPU?
q9rpCNi.jpg

@dondan

If this design is like the A4 and blower style cards are recommended, I would suggest the custom bracket.

Woooh! Another case!

@ whoever mentioned GPU orientation, with a blower card it should be fine. Even if it were the top-down styled coolers that blow hot air everywhere it wouldn't matter which direction it's oriented since it'll blow air down towards the PCIe connector and through the top anyways, so hot air will end up there anyways. Technically the riser card should block some so having the GPU intake facing down is a better design.

This is very much a shrink of the Silverstone RVZ01/FTZ01/ML07 and I very much welcome it!

@niksus: Sorry this wouldn't work. A 2,5" drive is too wide.

@teshirt: Thanks for your feedback :). Radial-Fan-Cards are not recommended but would be better for the climate in the case.

@HybridCore: Thank you so much :). The impulse for this case was the poor implementing of the default Steammachine-layout from the case company's.

Any updates on the dvd/ssd rack?
Don't have a blower card And looking for a htpc case.

Any estimate on pricing?

Sry no i will create it on weekend. Too much to do with tha A4 and creating a Webside.

@HybridCore: Thank you so much :). The impulse for this case was the poor implementing of the default Steammachine-layout from the case company's.

Really? I feel like they did a pretty decent job.

I just feel like though that if you're going to go with a card that powerful (since longer = more powerful perfectly fits how GPUs are nowadays) it doesn't scale well with the CPU. A NH-L9 can hold an i7 (quite a few reviews test it with an i5 or i7) although the temperatures aren't very pleasant.

I guess I just feel something with such a powerful GPU should provide enough room for taller CPU heatsinks or more aggressive cooling for a CPU that matches that caliber of a GPU but that's just my idea (although at that point we already have the NCASE M1, although that can be made slightly smaller by going with a SFX PSU instead of supporting both ATX and SFX). Ex. Silverstone's Steam Machine styled cases vs the NCASE M1, both can fit a full length GPU and a nice PSU (although the N1 can also support sub 160mm ATX PSUs) and fit a 240mm radiator yet the N1 is still 1.4 liters smaller (12.6L vs 14L) and also has the advantage of being able to fit much taller CPU coolers (130mm vs 80mm).

Last edited by a moderator:
My first try to create some rendered pictures of the B3, but i think i have to use Solidworks to get much more better results :(

render1_2rbsxd.jpg

render2_2rusr8.jpg

Last edited:
Renders look good!

Just curious, but wouldn't it be better to have the PSU cord on the same side as the PSU? So if you viewed the case from the back, to the left of the motherboard?

Just curious, but wouldn't it be better to have the PSU cord on the same side as the PSU? So if you viewed the case from the back, to the left of the motherboard?
This way saves space, since the case already needs to be wider on the GPU side for the PCIe power connectors. Putting the AC inlet there effectively makes dual use of the extra width.

Thanks Necere to making this clear :) By the way your Steam Machine Case looks very good.
Do you use Solidworks to creating this case? What do you think about the A4 it is possible that Lian Li can build such a case?

I really like this case, i've been looking at this case and Necere's case. Both looks very good. However i think im drawn a tidy bit more to this case since its smaller (thinner) i also love the raw vent style. Prefer this over mesh-style.

I think this is what gave the original steam machine such a great look. The small form factor as well as the robust vents. Love the whole cover too, that its just one piece of bent aluminium.
Hows that website going? Take my money please!

Dondan:

Personally I would shorten the case as much as possible and just rely on people using the HD-Plex 250W...you can still get some very powerful GPUs in a 17cm length (670, 760, and R9 285) and that would fit easily under the HD-Plex's power requirements. It would be even smaller!

I like more this design than Necere's because this one is smaller. I also like the design of the vents, how they continue uninterrupted from the cpu area to the side area.

Couple of things i would personally change:

1. Reverse the PSU and make vents for it on the top. Better cooling this way, without the need of tall case feet.

2. I would remove the GPU bottom vent and reallocate it to the side. Better ventilation and smaller case feet. And maybe move the video card a bit higher, if it's possible.

3. As in Necere's case and others, i wonder why the need of an external AC inlet. Why not use a regular, long, right angled PSU cable, and just route it through a small hole at the back of the case, e.g. near the left side of the mobo, like in the render posted above (this way, if you want to remove the cable, you just open the case and unplug it). You won't need to plug and unplug the power cable that often anyway, so why keep adding the AC inlet? It only adds to the cost and space of the case.

Last edited:
Do you use Solidworks to creating this case? What do you think about the A4 it is possible that Lian Li can build such a case?
I design in Sketchup, then we rebuild the whole thing in Solidworks for the finalized production files to send for manufacturing.

I would think LL should be able to do it without issue. The real question is whether they'd actually be interested or not, since smaller production may not be profitable enough to be worth their time. Likewise, they've probably been contacted enough by people with big ideas that didn't follow through that it may be hard to get their attention. I know w360 had to be persistent to get anywhere. You have to act the part - take it serious, talk like a business guy. You have to know terms like MOQ and FOB, and you have to have a plan and be organized and motivated.

Last edited:
I do prefer the design of Necere's case but smaller is smaller.

I would definitely be interested in purchasing one as a portable work and gaming PC. Weight is an important consideration for me, and I would be using a single m.2 based SSD.

Shouldnt the intake vents for the GPU extend the length of the card? Would it make a difference?

3. As in Necere's case and others, i wonder why the need of an external AC inlet. Why not use a regular, long, right angled PSU cable, and just route it through a small hole at the back of the case, e.g. near the left side of the mobo, like in the render posted above (this way, if you want to remove the cable, you just open the case and unplug it). You won't need to plug and unplug the power cable that often anyway, so why keep adding the AC inlet? It only adds to the cost and space of the case.

Disagree.

I will be using a small and slim case for it's portability. Opening the case each time to plug and unplug a cable is ridiculous unless the case could somehow opened and close easily (with a protected locking mechanism).

Then you should have a lock on the A4 thread. This case is 2L smaler as the B3 and will be first build.

The impulse for this case was the poor implementing of the default Steammachine-layout from the case company's.

Amen! There are not enough flat gaming cases. The design is obvious, but apparently very difficult.

Find your niche, and then bring it on!!! :)

Then you should have a lock on the A4 thread. This case is 2L smaler as the B3 and will be first build.

Very interested in that case too, but something as thing as this could potentially fit in a standard laptop bag for transport while a 10cm thick case would be pushing it.

50/50 on this case and the A4.

Back