B1942 w/ Desert Combat vs. Vietnam...

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
I have never played either of these games. Since I don't play much single player, I knew that one of the battlefield games would be great game for me.

What game would you guys recommend...???

Thanks.

PS: If I went for B1942 w/ DC, would all I have to have is the basic game (not the expansion) to run Desert combat?

Thanks

Desert Combat is supposed to be far deeper, especially in terms of flight mechanics. They both have quirks and glitches that people will abuse, so you can't really choose on that.

Desert Combat .8 should be coming out within the next month (The testers on the DEV server have been hinting at this a lot). It fixes a lot of the problems that have plagued .7 (Like weak-assed Humvees/DPV's, tank damage on hills, etc.) and adds about eight maps, I believe.

I'd say go with Battlefield 1942/Desert Combat and let them patch Vietnam a few more times before consideration.

BTW, you only need Battlefield 1942 to play Desert Combat, Desert Combat: Extended, Eve of Destruction, Galactic Conquest, and a slew of other mods that are out now.

I would reccomend both dude because there both excellent games but some people have problems running Vietnam especialy the ATI folks where as I have none but for this reason I also say go with BF1942 so nothing turns you from the series with BF. VT probaly not working right. BF1942 is not like a regular shooter but you will love it and DC is the main drawing point because everything from the F16's to the M1-AI takns are done top notch.

BFV....then get the modded Battlefield maps to play on it.

The last patch corrected lots of glitches....the M-60 ain't worth a crap now. The Cobra is still a little too wicked and too hard to kill, though.

I'd suggest BF1942 DC. Its fun I just suck at it. I had BF:V but it ran like shit on my gaming rig. I'm not sure why though...

I would also say DC. I got enormously high rankings in BF:V (top was 20th in the world under <bbb>BunnyRaper), but I lost interest after only a month. Scores like 80-2 made me wonder why I played. No competition = no fun. DC = much tougher to rambo dominate.

Hands-Down BF 1942...the game has the perfect balance of weapons & classes and has 2 expansions already, Not to mention has almost all the bugs worked out already.Then you can download tons of addons for it.

tree_ said:
I'd suggest BF1942 DC. Its fun I just suck at it. I had BF:V but it ran like shit on my gaming rig. I'm not sure why though...

Mine did too, until I opened the AGP aperture to 128. Runs like a champ now on my 9600 Pro. But I still suck, just with less choppiness.

I like the atmosphere of BFV- im a massive fan of veitnam type films and love the music- the graphics are definatly better in bfv (theyve done some dx9 type stuff like the slight sheen to all the vehicles paintwork which looks cool, as does the foliage/plant stuff theyve put in. Some of its quite subtle but when you go back to DC it does look a lot more basic.
The helicopters are a lot more rewarding to fly in DC, mainly as theyre really hard to master but once you get it you get a real buzz picking off people in the apaches and md500's, especially on maps with lots of valleys and hills to hide behind. The helis in BFv are easy to fly so more accessable but not as much fun, although once you get the hang of picking up tanks and ferrying them to the front line, multiplayer is good fun if youre all working as a team. Its also good getting a bunch of you in a huey and flying along at treetop height with credence clearwater revival basting out the radio- just like in the movies :D
The tanks are better in DC too, although thats true in real life so no surprizes there (although neither game is particalarly realistic in terms of gameplay).
In terms of what you need to play DC, you need the original game plus the DC .exe file, which is about a 570mb download i think. BFV is a standalone game- you dont need bf1942 to play it, its not an expansion like secret weapons and road to rome.
DC is easier to run, but BFV runs fine if you dont go mad with the settings. Plus theres loads of mods like experience WW2, forgotten hope, DC extended, Eve of Destruction (arguably as good as BFV anyway) and other random stuff. I would get BF1942 and dload a load of mods- will give you ages of gameplay :)- just mastering the helis in DC will take a few hours :S :D

Take a look at Unreal Tournament 2004 too. The onslaught mode is very similar to battlefield and can lead to some very awesome and fast paced battles in vechiles. UT 2004 i'd have to say really took me by suprise and is probably my favorite shooter since... the original Unreal Torunament :)

I recommend both, but I believe that BF: Vietnam is a far superior game. The gameplay is so much smoother, the scoring system is better and the graphics are off the hook.

BF Vietnam: Better overall gameplay, graphics, sound, and requires more strategy and stealth.

Vanilla BF 1942 is also a great game, just not quite up to the same level as Vietnam.

DC for 1942 was lame, too easy to kill / be killed, and there always seemed to be too many Rambo-type non-thinking players.

This is what I would do, get BF 1942, cause its classic and a slew of mods for it. DC is perhaps one of the best mods for a game I have ever played. Best part about it, is you can get BF: 1942 for pretty cheap by now. Just skip over BFV and get BF2 when it comes out next year.

I still prefer DC over over BFV, but I'm slowly moving over. The more I play BFV, the more I like it.

So guys I went out and bought BF: V.

I don't understand. I am getting decent fps throughout the game, but it doesn't feel like that... I get choppyness when I move the mouse to look to my right and left... Do I have enough ram?

bobsaget said:

I don't understand. I am getting decent fps throughout the game, but it doesn't feel like that... I get choppyness when I move the mouse to look to my right and left... Do I have enough ram?

No, bfv just has a terrible netcode and is crippled by punk buster too. If you really dont think its a online issue, try a botmatch.

bobsaget said:

I just went from 512mb to 768mb partly because when I checked the total commit charge of ram for BFV it was often between 600 and 700 mb. That doesn't mean it's the cause of your choppyness but a gig of ram couldn't hurt. I found it ran alot less choppy after the patch.

bobsaget said:

You can make it run near perfect, you just have to figure out the correct audio and video settings, and maybe do a couple of tweaks. Turn AA and AF down or off, also adjust 1, 2, or 3 of the "graphic detail" "geometry" "texture details" to Medium or High.

Here's a Vietnam performance enhancing thread at a pretty good forum, at least do the first 2 sound tweaks and "allowallrefreshrates" from 0 to 1:
http://www.fpscentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65578

512MB is enough, but 800+ helps slightly. I upgraded to a gig after playing for a while. The rest of your rig is strong enough to run it smoothly.

Many people with nVidia or ATI cards run the game smoothly, or tweak it to. Ignore those people that say the game is "broke" and can't be fixed. It can.

Oh, also be sure to get the latest patch 1.02. The new patch 1.1 should be out this Firday or next Friday.

Another warning...

If team-killing is enabled on a public server, it's going to happen any time you and another guy want the same vehicle. I swear to God this is the most frustrating thing I've ever dealt with in a game.

Noobs will either:

A: Spend the entire game on the airfield, waiting for that thirty seconds of glory that they experience before crashing into a random object.

B: Spend the entire game on the airfield and TK anyone who comes close, waiting for that thirty seconds of glory that they experience before crashing into a random object.

I feel that BFV gets laggy in games over 24 people. A full 24 player server for me is smooth as butter

Sunni_Phono said:
I feel that BFV gets laggy in games over 24 people. A full 24 player server for me is smooth as butter

That lag you see when playing over 24 people on a server is because you're being limited by your CPU. Bump your CPU up and you will play smoothly against more than 24.

I'm running a P4 at 2.2, and it's smooth on BF:VN up to about 32 players on a server, then gets steadily more and more laggy the higher the server count. On another computer I have access to and have played on, P4 2.4 @ 3.0, the game was smooth up to around 50 players on the same server, and started getting laggy around 55+.

BFV runs smooth as silk on my rig but the textures are pixelated as all hell, like huge tetris like blocks on all vehicles and buildings.. anyone know whats causing this?

get 1942... i was all pumped up for vietnam, but then i got it and the vehicles sucked bigtime!

-warsaw

Why cant these mods be made using the Cry engine :rolleyes: I love BF1942 to death, but the engine is just terrible, I dont think there is one full conversion for far cry, which is a damn shame b/c its such a good engine.

If anything is worse than the engine itself, it's the damage model...they've got a seriously fucked up perception of how damage should work.

I'm sorry, but nobody should survive more than two shots to the chest, nor should they live through an RPG at their feet. It takes six/seven shots from a pistol on the body to do anything. The mortar launcher is laughable too.

The vehicle damage isn't much better, but I don't have time to get into that right now...

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Why cant these mods be made using the Cry engine :rolleyes: I love BF1942 to death, but the engine is just terrible, I dont think there is one full conversion for far cry, which is a damn shame b/c its such a good engine.

Nah, bf42's engine was fine, especially since the 1.6 patch. BF:VN's engine is fine also and will get even better with the coming patches. Why the hell would Dice/EA have waited for FC, to release bf42 or bf:VN? They made their own, decent engine, and a lot of $ in the mean time.

Back