B/S/T, RMA, and SALES, a short editorial.

Yashu

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought a 7800gs AGP card from evga, I noticed that it would not work with aftermarket heatsinks... I had a shiny new zalman vf900 and nowhere to install it. There were other issues... things that bother someone with OCD, but not most people.

I decided that I would have rather had a 6800ultra... then I would have many avenues of tweaking... aftermarket cooling, bios modding, volt modding, quadro hacks... and it wouldn't be hardly slower then the 7800gs... I would get an architecture where I was at least using all the pipelines, unlike the crippled 7800gs.

I offered a trade on the BST forums here and eventually took a deal, I sent my card away packed very carefully and soon I received my BFG 6800ultra. it wasn't packed so well... and the heatsink was a little dented... but I was still excited since I wouldn't need the stock heatsink anyway.

The card did not work. It had a bad power sensor, and then it refused to boot altogether. I sent in for RMA with BFG. I had never used an RMA before. In the mean time I had found an ATI x850pro on sale at the store for $116, I bought it... and began playing around with that while I waited for my RMA to return. the x850 could not open up the last 4 pipes even with a hard mod... no matter... it was cheap. The TV out was buggy too... but hey... it was cheap.

I got my RMA back and the card would not boot... I suspected they replaced the heatsink and sent me the same card. I called BFG, and they offered to send out a card tested at their labs... I was happy, they were going to give me a prepaid shipping lable for the dead one I had.

I waited and waited some more... and then I called them. They never sent the card out because they forgot to take some information from me. Doh. well they offered to send it overnight.

I waited and waited some more... they sent it ground instead.

I was tired of the x850pro by this time for sure. I hated trying to watch movies with it... however at least it was in color... my old 9800pro only outputs b/w s-video. I wanted to slip back in that pinacle of 6th gen tech... I opened the box and noticed... they sent me a 7800gs.

so I spent a month trading one evga 7800gs for one BFG 7800gs. I think I am going to stick with it this time.

Back