Azure slow clusterstorage

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
So we have a couple of servers in a cluster.

We have a big issue. Copying files to/from/within the clusterstorage is abismally slow.

To put an example.

I'm currently copying a 500GB folder with application and data files and its taking about an hr from the temporary storage to the clusterstorage.

7zip takes hours to compress/decompress a 2gb folder.
It seems the problem relies with small files. moving large files doesn't seem to be affected.

In contrast, the non clustered servers are pretty fast. I have no clue why this happens.

Any ideas?

How are you copying the files? RDP? Powershell command?

What different methods have you tried to copy files? What were the results of each different method you tried?

Your 7z issue might be limited by other factors. You might have two independent things going on here, or related things. Some server specs might help. What's the average load on your server?

I've tried simple drag and drop, robocopy and powershell. Same results.

Its an IIS Server
Intel Xeon E5-2673 2.3ghz
64GB
128GB HDD (OS 50% free space)
200GB SSD (Temporary Storage)
500GB HDD (DATA 60%free

The server was intalled about a week ago and since the start I noticed the issue.

800mb file transfer from hdd to ssd 15 seconds
1.4GB folder with different files 43 minutes

7z 5GB Folder 30 minutes from hdd to sdd
the same within hdd 3:23 hrs

We still don't have enough of the technical details to draw any conclusions about anything.
Looks like they have two different types of storage. Which one do you fall under?
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Azure/Disk-performance-issues/td-p/118897

My suggestion if you're on standard: realize you are limited. Pay more if you want greater speeds. Or, move to a provider who doesn't nickel and dime you for transfer speeds on disks... <- highly recommended!

My suggestion if you're on premium (which you aren't because only SSD comes in premium option): contact them and ask them Wtf is up with the transfer speeds.

Last edited:
Back