Ayone notice security issues in Firefox?

Ion Silverbolt

Limp Gawd
I was surfing earlier and got a weird request to save a file called default.exe. I thought that was weird since Firefox usually never bothers with file requests unless you click on something. It came up as a javascript request. Anyway, I looked at the site it came from out of curiosity and here's what it is.

http://mmm.media-motor.net/soft (Left unclickable for security)

The default.exe file is in there. Which I am guessing is probably either nasty spyware, or even a virus. What's scary is it's named default so I assume it automatically installs under IE. And what the hell is mmm? I didn't know that was a valid url name.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed anything in Firefox that could be considered a security threat? I don't consider the above as a threat or anything, but I have been seeing more attempts such as the above. Most sites work right with javascript disabled at least. I love firefox, but I bet we will start to see it get targeted more as it gets more popular. It's still worlds better than IE or anything else though.

virusallert.JPG

the site looks like bad news to me. i would avoid it.

it is pretty wierd how it automatically asks you to download the default.exe

Holy crap! I wish I could remember which site I was at that made it pop-up. I sure as hell wasn't at any warez or pr0n sites. It didn't pop-up right away either. Seems like sometimes they come up only after so much time passes.

I'm not sure you can consider it a security risk yet. I mean you still have to say yes to install it. But still, they're getting more tricky by the day.

Back