AXP-m 2500+ OC limit?

malingjc

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey Guys. In my sig there is the one mobile system I've been using.

I've been trying to get the thing to hit 2.5 stable, but here's what I've tried.

I run the RAM at 200Mhz because it is Geil CAS 2.5, and don't want to loosen the timings too much.
Its a A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo.
I was using a Tt Silent Boost fan on it and I maxed out at 2.2.
I put on a Zalman 7000B-AlCu on it to test and now I can't get 2.4 stable at 1.7V.

From the temps, it is stable until it hits 48C and wham, nothing but errors in Prime95.

This kinda confuses me because 48C is pretty low for a mobile is it not? Is there a limit I should keep on the voltage? I'd rather not blow it to pieces.

all depends on your chip.
I got one of the earlier 2400 models and only get 2.55ghz outa it at 2.0V on good water.

the DFI infinity kinda fluctuates a lotat 1.95 and 2.0 tho.
if I'd of waiting maybe 3-4 months and got a 2400 or 2500 I'd get 2.8 or 2.9ghz on my cooling. just didn't get lucky, so no idea how'd u do on air, 2.4 2.5 maybe.

I put the silent boost back on and I had it at 2300 @ 1.66v, but was slowly inching up towards 60C (it was around 56, 57), and didn't feel like prime95 toasting it.

Strange that it would error up at 48C with the Zalman at 2400 @ 1.75v @ 48C, but under 48C was fine.

You'll need at least 1.80v for 2400 and probably 1.90-1.95v for 2500, which is impossible on that board unless you wanna do a Vcore mod. Just put it at 1.85v and hope for 2500.

48C load is high for 2400MHz @ 1.75v. My ambient temp is always 70 and my mobile's load temp is about 50, and thats at 2500 1.90v on a 7000Cu. Turn down your heat, lap the Zalman and apply some Arctic Silver 5 properly: smear a dab on the base of the sink then buff it all off with some clean paper, and spread a nearly transparent layer on the core using your finger inside a sandwich bag. <--- btw the credit card method people tell you about is pretty half-assed in my opinion.

What's the stepping of your chip?
I run my 2500+ 1.7v stable 240 Prime tested for an entire long weekend, no problem.

When you are saying the temperature is 48 degrees it is motherboard thermistor or core diode temperature?

I personally don't run it at 1.9v (what's needed for stable 250 is 1.85v-1.90v) because that's near the limit of my air cooling...it gets pretty hot there. My hardware diode that I have taped to the actual CPU and touching the core tells me it's 75º C when it crashes out.

When I run 240 1.7v, load is 54º according to my hardware thermistor, 50º according to the motherboard, and 45º according to the actual diode built into the core.

Be happy with 2.4 because with most 2500+'s, the hump from 2.4 -> 2.5 is huge. Can require a jump over 0.2volts which will raise your temperatures almost 20º.

dobbz said:
You'll need at least 1.80v for 2400 and probably 1.90-1.95v for 2500, which is impossible on that board unless you wanna do a Vcore mod. Just put it at 1.85v and hope for 2500.

48C load is high for 2400MHz @ 1.75v. My ambient temp is always 70 and my mobile's load temp is about 50, and thats at 2500 1.90v on a 7000Cu. Turn down your heat, lap the Zalman and apply some Arctic Silver 5 properly: smear a dab on the base of the sink then buff it all off with some clean paper, and spread a nearly transparent layer on the core using your finger inside a sandwich bag. <--- btw the credit card method people tell you about is pretty half-assed in my opinion.

Hey we have similar specs. What are you running you FSB and other Infinity voltages at?
I am usually guilty of applying waaay too much silver. It's from a bad experience with a fried 1700+ where I tried the near transparent method and the CPU went up in smoke. Now I put in a pretty thick layer although that's probably a bad idea.

Spare-Flair said:
Hey we have similar specs. What are you running you FSB and other Infinity voltages at?
I am usually guilty of applying waaay too much silver. It's from a bad experience with a fried 1700+ where I tried the near transparent method and the CPU went up in smoke. Now I put in a pretty thick layer although that's probably a bad idea.

Since I have a gig the FSB tops out at 235 2.5-2-2-9 3.0v CPC. At 11x I can't get 2585 stable more than an hour so I run 230 for 2530 and get 12+ hours Prime. Chipset is 1.7v.

When you spread that super thin layer you gotta have a properly lapped sink; at least 1000 grit on a piece of thick glass, and to a mirror finish (on my Zalman I can read the warning label on a Bic cigarette lighter in the reflection.) Anyway, you're only gonna get -2C over a more basic application.

I'm actually selling my AthXP-m motherboard, case, processor and wifi card

Decided I wanted an Aria SFF system.

Back