AXP-140 Fans

Trevor

n00b
I know quite a few people run AXP-140's on small form factor systems so I figured I would share my experience with the fans I've tried on my AXP-140 2600k @ 4.3GHz on a ASRock Z68 in a SG07 case.

AXP-140 Stock Fan
- Since it's not PWM and locked at full speed I didn't even bother. I'm looking for something quieter and/or PWM.

Noctua NF-P14 FLX
- Not PWM but they have a great reputation so I started here. Cools really well at full speed (1200) but too loud. Went to the 900-ish RPM low noise adapter and it still cooled just fine but it was still just a hair loud when not gaming. I didn't try the Ultra low noise adapter. Just didn't seem like a good idea with a stressed system.

Xigmatek XAF-F1451
- I decided I wanted to switch to PWM so I gave this one a shot even though it's new on the market. I was surprised with the limited range this thing is capable of PWM-wise (880-1240 on my board). It's quieter than the Noctua at lowest speed (practically silent) and cools better at the Noctua (900 rpm) once it spins up. Great lookin' fan too.

Scythe Slip Stream 140 PWM Adjustable VR
- This thing is money. While on PWM I recorded 533-1318 at the lowest speed and 1341-1882 when cranked all the way. 533 was dead silent but the CPU would get a little hot (62-63C) in the time it took it to spin up after starting Prime95 so I turned it up slowly until the initial heat stayed under control (60C peak). I settled on 685-1548 range. At 685 I still can't hear it at all (The AP181 and a GTX590 drown it out even though both are at their lowest settings) and at 1548 while running Prime95 it's kicking butt and taking names. The CPU temp is no lower than the Xigmatek (60C peak - I think the AXP-140 is doing it's best) but the board temp is a little lower. I'm sticking with this one!

I hope this helps you guys out!

Last edited:
Thermalright TY-140 is the best fan I have used so far with my AXP-140.

Although now going into the SG08 I have to use a 120mm so have gone for an Akasa Viper which can achieve the same cooling with only a very very slight increase in sound (still cant hear it over the damn HD6950 ¬.¬ ) but it is better than the rubbish GT 1850 that I tried before and has better cooling but louder than the Noctua P-12 that I also tried.

lol Trevor I guess I shouldve read your post prior to asking in SG07 thread...I was even gonna ask which fan were you using!

So it looks like you do use AXP140+SlipStream with AP181 huh? I read that Slip Stream was really good just as you wrote, altho I went with TY140..

I assume that you use AP181 (if you do use it) to blow downward onto the HSF and the board? How's your GPU and Mobo temp? I'm asking because I did some test and found that if I stop AP181 from blowing hot air downward (it's currently blowing downward thru my H60's radi), the mobo temp would actually drop 5C and more, and vcard temp would also average somewhere lower. I don't know what kind of airflow is used by your GTX590, tho, so not sure if your GTX590 is affected.

My SYSTIN runs at 34C at idle and 44C in CPUID Hardware Monitor while gaming with both the 180 & 140mm fans running at <80%. Occasionally I'll see 47C in a marathon session of Crysis or something similar. I have a duct I made to exhaust the 590's front GPU's heat so it doesn't build up in the case. The 590 idles at 39-40C and seems to peg out at around 89C in the heavy duty games like Crysis or BF3 (both GPUs are practically in sync 24/7). 2560x1600 on a 30" Dell.

Last edited:
That duct is an awesome idea and mod. Too bad I'm running non-window version :(

Did you see anyone with non-windowed version come up with a solution for a vcard that vents enormous hot air into PSU/front of the case? Normally after 20 minutes of BF3 max, my vcard side panel turns hot, that I can barely touch it, cuz it burns!

Back