AX1200 just destroyed 3 SSDs, 1 HDD, life?

Just a quick update. I haven't been able to make time to work with the Corsair reps with my problem and have a couple emails that have been awaiting my response. I'm also yet to make any attempt to recover the data from my HDD (The SSDs are long gone, but might make neat business card holders). I've just been playing catch-up with my school work all this time since the incident made me fall considerably behind. For what it's worth, Corsair has been prompt and sincere in all correspondence with me. I didn't mean for Corsair to take a bunch of heat in this thread. I still swear by their power supplies and steered my brother in to getting one for his new build last week. I'll keep you guys updated.

We can't tell you what's in the market right now - once it ships from Corsair to the reseller, it could be on the shelf for 3 minutes or 3 months, we have no control over that. But we are no longer shipping units without the fix in place.
Glad to hear... I just purchased one from Newegg this afternoon. Hopefully mine doesn't suffer from the coil whine. Even if it does, looks like exchanging it won't be much of a hassle. Good to know.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

I put everything on "the cloud." One at my company and one publicly accessible, for non-sensitive data.

I use private servers, but here's a good starting point if you want to start with $0: http://www.asuswebstorage.com

Redbeard. Kudos for supporting this issue quickly and in a professional manner. I'm sure the 7 year warranty will stand up to its name. Some bad one slipped out, I'm reassured that you guys will take care of things and make it right.

I'm ready to test my luck on this PSU, and I notice newegg seems to have a big batch of whining psu. Any insight on what the root problem is, and what has been fixed or changed? If any at all? Any pointers/directions on where to purchase the newest batch, that had stricter QC?

I'm in the process of building a new computer, and was wanting to see whats possible. (most likely be buying from Amazon).

Thanks!

Redbeard. Kudos for supporting this issue quickly and in a professional manner. I'm sure the 7 year warranty will stand up to its name. Some bad one slipped out, I'm reassured that you guys will take care of things and make it right.

I'm ready to test my luck on this PSU, and I notice newegg seems to have a big batch of whining psu. Any insight on what the root problem is, and what has been fixed or changed? If any at all? Any pointers/directions on where to purchase the newest batch, that had stricter QC?

I'm in the process of building a new computer, and was wanting to see whats possible. (most likely be buying from Amazon).

Thanks!

It's a vibrating coil, and is fixed by adding some glue to the coil so it no longer vibrates. There's no way to tell who bought what batch. So far, out of the thousands of units sold, I've received 7 emails and our tech support has received less than 20 complaints. So it's definitely not happening on every unit.

It's a vibrating coil, and is fixed by adding some glue to the coil so it no longer vibrates. There's no way to tell who bought what batch. So far, out of the thousands of units sold, I've received 7 emails and our tech support has received less than 20 complaints. So it's definitely not happening on every unit.

Mine doesnt whine (HEHE)

I bought a new AX1200 and have noticed the same annoying whine. What makes it worse is that my PC is built around a test bench so you can really hear it.

RedBeard I sent you an email. Thanks.

There will always be a few defective units that slip through. It's the manufacturer's quick, responsive, and hassle-free support once a customer gets such a defective unit that marks the difference between the average company and the truly GOOD companies to buy from.

Hi. I'm planning on buying a couple of these for a couple of workstations I'm building for a customer. Most parts I bought in the US and shipped them here (Ecuador) but since the PSU is available here I will buy it locally.

Are international resellers aware of this issue. If they see the unit works they might not want to replace it unless they are properly informed of the issue.

Whining about coil whine is oft! Real men void warranties: go get your hot glue gun, your favorite phillips screwdriver, and do it the [H]ard way! ;)

Disclaimer: poster does not condone idiots opening their PSU. If you don't know how to safely discharge capacitors or work around high voltage components, it is always better to be oft than dead.

Upon first reading this thread I figured it was user error as in all the years of dealing with computers have I ever found a NIB power supply just "frying out" everything in the system it was installed in. ALL power supply units are functional tested before shipping. Not saying things can come loose during shipping and DOAs or short-lived units don't happen, but to flat out short-out devices like that means there is usually a wiring issue (as in a short somewhere, a molex connector pin on a protusion, etc)...

I am just glad the OP was "man enough" to admit his wrong doing and we can putthis to rest as a "user error" circumstance, not a "bad product" one.

I have the AX1200 as well and all the connectors snapped in just fine (some wouldn't clip the retaining clips without some pressure once it was together, but all the cable connectors slipped together without any force at all)...

The biggest concern here was a possible bad-manufactured cable that had some pins out of place. If that is true it is a QC problem.

To the OP, as a "rule of thumb" on anything in life, don't make generalized assumptions about ANYTHING unless you have verified the facts. I would never imagine that anything that does not have a "standard" applied to it (such as modular connections on power supplies) would ever have one thing be consistent between brands or even between models by the same manufacturer. You can ALWAYS assume that if you use what is provided with a product ONLY with that product will it work as expected.

here is a better advice. stick to none module psu's:D

After 4 months of use, luckly my AX1200 is perfect :D !

Handling a monstrous pc without a sweat !

I was very afraid of the winning coil, but gratefully it is silent as a rock.

That really sucks, I'm surprised you didn't have it backed up on some external or online if it were that important. Sounds like corsair's service is awesome though =-)

Wow, this is an old thread.

For those just reading it - this problem has been fixed for months. If you buy an AX1200 and have any issues we'll gladly replace it for you.

Just purchased and installed my AX1200 last night. It is by far the best PSU on the market! I have never seen such a high quality, well built, well packaged unit before. I used to be a PC Power & Cooling only guy...and after they sold out to OCZ their quality went down the tubes. Now almost my entire system is Corsair (600T case, Dominator mem, PSU) and I must say...this AX1200 is incredible.

Sorry to those that have had issues with this unit. Please don't let it sway you from buying one of these, worth every penny!!!! I one time had a bad PC Power 12KSW unit (about $500) so these things do sadly happen from time to time.

Back