AX1200 for 3930k?

psyclist

Gawd
Hey guys, OK first off I know she might be a little overkill... But I just found an AX1200 for 199 here in Canada. I'm currently running a TX750 that has been good, but since upgrading to the 2011 platform and second 670, that I might be stressing er a little. Did one of those online PSU calculators, and came up with 790w. Thinking of grabbing a third 670 once they get a bit cheaper. So just looking for opinions? Worth it at $199?

Yeah, why not? I use an AX1200i for my 3930k and 670s, nice thing is the fan doesn't run at idle since the load is so low, not sure if the non-i is the same way or not.

For the record, what are you doing with this rig anyway?

Haha, well at the moment not a hell of a lot other than playing all these new steam games I got from the sale! But I use it for some crunching of GIS datasets, and some other intensive geoprocessing. The only reason I jumped on X79 is because I got a crazy deal on the MB and then the 3930K through the retail edge program, I'm sure a 1155 setup would work just as well, but I sure do like having all this extra power there when I need it! Why do you ask?

Because SLI'd 670s only consume ~500W at the wall, but an i7 3930k consumes ~250W at the wall under full load. Granted SLI'd 670s can't really go all out without some help from the CPU, so it's not really gonna be 750W at the wall if both are going 100%, but it will be close. I also don't see anything you said that will stress both 670s and the CPU to 100% full load at the same time and that wont change if you get a third 670 either.

Basically, just reiterating that 1200W is more than overkill for your needs, but since it's only $200 vs $300 they're regularly priced go for it.

Yeah I know full well it's overkill and to an extent the 3930k is as well, but all of these things came on great deals so, I don't feel too bad. But will be nice that I have wattage breathing room to add a 3rd card in! Your right that not all things are going to be loaded at 100% at once, I'd say BF4 does a decent job, but it's not maxing the CPU...I'll sleep on it for the night perhaps. Thanks for the input!

After much deliberation, I decided to stick with my trusty TX750-V2. It provides 61 amps on the 12v rail, and will provide up to 830w if pushed, with minimal ripple. It's running through a good UPS, It should be just fine for now and I'll just keep an eye out for a deal on an HX850 or AX860, they will provide up to 1000w when pushed

Have a 3930 and 780ti hooked to a corsair 850 with no problems:D
For 199 I would buy it

Last edited:
After much deliberation, I decided to stick with my trusty TX750-V2. It provides 61 amps on the 12v rail, and will provide up to 830w if pushed, with minimal ripple. It's running through a good UPS, It should be just fine for now and I'll just keep an eye out for a deal on an HX850 or AX860, they will provide up to 1000w when pushed

Sound decision. However, an Ax1200 for $199 is quite tempting.

Tell me about it, spent a whole day trying to justify it to myself, in the end it came down to the kit guru reviews and the fact that it blocked off my bottom fan intake on my 500R. So I'm gonna hold off until a smokin deal comes along for either the HX850 or AX860 standard sized PSUs

No need to sell yourself short as there are other PSUs in that power range you could look out for sales on as well.

Back