Awesome Success in undervolting

noobsaib

n00b
For 2 weeks now I have been trying to get good temps with my opteron 165 and a8n32-sli combination. It easily reached 2610mhz with 290x9( prime stable). However my temps were awful 45-46 idle and 54 on load(dual prime95). After trying everything from reseating the HSF, remanaging the cables etc... I was pretty disapointed.

However I had an idea last night. I figured maybe my board is secretly overvolting my opteron. So i go ahead and drop the voltage little by little until it wont boot. Excep it keeps booting and booting and finally i settle for 1.22 and start looking at my temps. (Remember Im still OCed by 810 mhz.) The temps were a lot more normal 34 idle so i say to myself nice but its probably not stable so I run prime 95. I run it all night and here are the screenies.

undervolt9dl.jpg

and

undervoltidle6gj.jpg

So what do you guys think. Is my board overvolting without my knowledge? Am I risking something with undervolting?

That's pretty freakin' sweet. I underclock and undervolt my CPU on idle, but being able to keep your OC and set your vCore that low...damn.

Just make sure you're not using outrageously high vMem with that low vCore of yours.

A factor in all this could be the PSU......what is it, the stock Sonata 450?

Thats very impressive. Only way to tell if your board is overvolting is with multimeter.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Enjoy the sweet smell of lower power and higher clocks.

It seems that im not the only one having heat issues with that particular western digital. It worried me at first but i dont think that its out of normal operating temps. I tried it out on other boards and smart still gave me high temps. Its temp is normal on touch, not hotter then another driver, so I believe its a sensor issue.

Back