AW9D-Max disastrous bios update

Web63

n00b
Hi,
Last night, my son in his infinite wisdom decided to update the bios on our AW9D-Max machine using the Abit bios update flash utility in uGuru (I know, I know). I walked in the room as he was doing this, the process had finished and the little box was displayed on the screen stating that the update was successful and a restart was required, by this time it was too late to do anything about it so I told him to go ahead and restart, and guess what.... no post screen, total nothingness, the fans are running etc but there is nothing on the screen whatsoever. I tried resetting the cmos to no avail, I even turned off the power and removed the battery and left it overnight, but still nothing.:(
So, am I looking at trying to get a replacement bios chip here?
Also, what about my son, should I drown him or have him shot?

This is not an uncommon problem with this board. It is likely related to the memory settings. Try removing all but one module (assuming you have more than one to begin with) or try another module from another machine if that doesn't work. Also, try removing the battery and letting the machine sit overnight if all else fails.

anr11 you were absolutely right!

I removed one of the dimms and it booted, went into bios and manually set the timings/voltage etc. Then switched off, fitted the second stick and it booted no problem.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post I really appreciate it :)

No problem. Glad to hear you're up and going again. I had that board also and ran into the issue several times.

Back