AW2310 vs. ? - Explorer.exe 120hz or IPS?

xyeLz

Limp Gawd
Two separate questions here.

I am thinking I will finally pull the trigger on the following:

1 x HIGH END IPS (most likely Eizo CG243W)
1 x TOP TN (most likely AW2310)

I have settled on the Eizo for the IPS for the most part, including the i1 Display Pro despite the price of the package. However, I am not convinced with my TN decision. First, I have OCD and I truly wish that both monitors were the same size/brand/bezel. Unfortunately, to get the best of both worlds I guess this seems to be the only approach, right?

Is the AW2310 the best gaming monitor out right now? I looked at the Planar SA2311w but it's just plain ugly. Does the performance outdo that of the Alienware enough? I've never dealt with Planar support either...

Also, which monitor should I use for normal desktop applications? For example, should I keep my icons on the TN panel for the smoother desktop experience but do my graphic design on the IPS? Or should I keep the icons and graphic design on the IPS and use the TN only for gaming? What about browsing the web? IPS?

Use IPS for everything. 120Hz is overrated as well; unless it's IPS, stay away, as TN is horrible.

Why are desktop monitors so goddamn shitty? My phone has much higher DPI, an IPS panel, a hell lot more brightness, than 99% of available desktop monitors >.>

I don't know about that. I think TN will still reign in gaming overall but that's why I'll have a separate IPS - for everything else. :)

I have a very similar setup - AW2310 + Asus PA246Q (IPS 24")
I bought the AW2310 during one of Dell's frequent sales. If it was not on sale, I would have probably gone for a less expensive 120hz. The 120hz was enough to satisfy this finicky CRT hold-out (I had a 2 monitor 22" CRT + 24" SPVA setup before this). For color work and reading I use the IPS more, but the 120hz TN surprised me - after calibration it's not half bad - waaay better than older TNs that I've seen before. The 120hz smoothness is amazing.

I don't know about that. I think TN will still reign in gaming overall but that's why I'll have a separate IPS - for everything else. :)

I would look at the XL2410T if you're looking for a bargain 120hz monitor. The XL2420T is going to be released soon and I'm pretty sure they're going to almost certainly lower the price for the XL2410T. It's already at a bargain rate at the moment. I've always thought that the AW2310 is a bit over rated. It's one of the older 120hz monitors. The XL or other LG, ASUS, etc have better monitors with LED backlit with more input ports, and with cooler designs and features. Most notably some users like the XL2410T for its special scaling features which allows you to switch between different dimensions with OSD settings. It's got quite a large range of height adjustment, and the stand is really well built. See if you can find anything on CyberMonday for it!!!

Back