AVP thoughts and impressions

How come everything related to aliens or predators these days has to suck? These are two powerhouse franchises it's a shame to see shit like AVP, Reqium and this game take a dump on two great classic series'.

It downloading and install without any problems.
Its takes me anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to get into a game (most of time 5 minutes)
Let's see I am unable to choose what character to play.(its picks character for me)
Out of 5 games I have been pred, alien, pred, alien, and alien (never a marine)
pred only have wrist blades, but as alien i get kill by preds with combi stick (bastards)

It downloading and install without any problems.
Its takes me anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to get into a game (most of time 5 minutes)
Let's see I am unable to choose what character to play.(its picks character for me)
Out of 5 games I have been pred, alien, pred, alien, and alien (never a marine)
pred only have wrist blades, but as alien i get kill by preds with combi stick (bastards)

The time to join a game will go down as more people get the demo. Tomorrow should see a large improvement.

I just played a MP match and its everything I could have hoped for. To me it felt like the oldschool AvP games. I got to take some guys head off with the Predator, it was very satisfying :p. I look forward to the full game.

I don't know what was better, the fact that it didn't have DX11 in the demo or the fact that I couldn't connect to a game.

Just finished playing about 5 matches. It took me 2 minutes the first time to find a match but the more people we have playing the easier it will be. Once I was in there the lobby system was exactly like any p2p game IE MW2. Once we get servers it will be even better. The lag even on p2p wasn't noticable so I have hopes for that.

Graphically the game looked like a reengined AVP2 to me. Sound effects, gun effects, all were great. Each race felt balanced in its own way and was completely playable. Had a blast. Also. if you play as a marine that ticking sound is the motion sensor, not the games sound glitching out like I thought it was. Had me very mad for a bit until I realized what it was. Can't wait for real TDM to be played.

Cliffs: Re-engined AVP2 = awesome. This game is not anything revolutionary, I don't think it will really change anything. It felt exactly like AVP1-2 with redone Predator mechanics. The predators primary weapon is really now his handclaws and not the weapons you pick up. Unless it's the tracking shoulder cannon. He feels alot more playable as a class in a free for all now. The weird jumping thing that you can see in videos also takes a wee bit of getting used to but ever since I actually like it. It's not so much a combat tool as it is a positioning one. The delay on the "called jump" or whatever is high enough that you get killed before hand. I do still like it however.

Last edited:
finally got into a game. bored and uninstalled in 10 minutes. I'm gonna go play some more BFBC2.

Saw some people mentioning it's running at 50hz... My TV shows 1080i when I load it up. Had to set my res down to 1360x768. 1920x1080 results in underscan.

Also, even "0" mouse sensitivity is too fast. Typical of console ports...

I guess a lot of people didn't enjoy it like I did. :( Though I still find BFBC2 way more fun.

It's awful. But more awful simply because of being marred by a mistakes and bugs. The final product DX11 capable with these issues corrected? Maybe.

First off, it would be proper if the OP had put "DEMO" in the title. Afterall, it's made quite clear that this is based off an earlier build and not the final product. Not to mention it only utilizes DX9.

I've been waiting for this game for years, but more importantly ever since it was announced last year! I have to say the demo was a bit disappointing (considering it took me several hours to be able to connect regularly to a match...which I come to find out is based on a matchmaking platform...not dedicated, which is a joke onto itself.

I really want to believe Rebellion had PC gamers in mind when building this game, but it's pretty evident how much of a console port it is. I can only hope the community takes to this game and we'll see some standout additions.

Bring on the SP!

i have a feeling that the demo is actually an in-house beta build just seeing as how many problems there are.. i dont think they were expecting to release a demo for the game so they just slapped something together last minute..

i have a feeling that the demo is actually an in-house beta build just seeing as how many problems there are.. i dont think they were expecting to release a demo for the game so they just slapped something together last minute..

That's the impression I get from it. Especially with how poorly the matchmaking is done. I wonder if Sega forced them to release the demo.

So so let down by this demo. Expected so much, and I know it's capable of more. Lets wait for gold release here....but I'm skeptical from this moment forward. :eek:

Took me and a buddy 10-15 minutes to finally get into a lobby and the first time we were unable to select a race, once that game ended and in the second lobby we were able to choose, but it seemed like Predator was locked so only two people were able to choose it... I agree that there needs to be dedicated servers because this matchmaking is just ridiculously stupid, or it needs some serious work. Perhaps a "Friends Only" option will be available in the retail release, sort of like L4D.

Was looking forward to it greatly, now highly skeptical about purchasing.

- No leap attack for Alien; you have to actually make your way down the friggin' walls to attack someone, and by that point, they've moved and you're completely disoriented as to where you and they are.

- Looks great, particularly the Alien and Predator models, but the feel is way too clunky; feels like a console port, without a doubt. Movement/aiming does not feel right for PC, and though I had quite a lot of kills, it was not easy.

- Overall, even though this was just standard (boring) deathmatch, and I know there's far more modes to the game, it just doesn't feel right. I "sort of" had fun with it, and I'm a total Alien freak, so I don't want to give up on it that easy, but I have to be honest... meh.

Ran great for me, 50fps min, maxed settings. Environment nicely detailed for the most part, though poor level design and some low res textures.

Deathmatch in this felt as exciting as deathmatch in DOOM 3, meaning to say, not at all. Felt "slow", "sluggish" and "clunky" all around in terms of the gameplay. It's not too horrendous, but I don't know... just something not right about it...

Definitely balanced well between class damage, I'll give it that, but my first impressions left me sorely disappointed. Even though this is a demo, it ran great and some good visuals, some great Alien kills, and general movement is fine when just running down corridors. But aiming and movements in general feel like I'm playing with a gamepad, and that was at best settings that still allowed me to use my twitch reactions to still manage getting kills.

I don't know if they left out the Alien's leap from AvP2 completely, or just for the demo, but without it, it's very difficult and almost pointless. Especially because they die relatively easy, so that leap is important. Otherwise, you have to:
- get oriented
- try to run down a wall, pipe or some other structure from some odd angle
- get to the ground
- run up to your enemy and attempt to kill them.

Way too much time out in the open to get shot.

All-in-all, not really for hardcore AvP2 fans, such as myself, and seems way more geared towards casual console shooter fans.

Was looking forward to it greatly, now highly skeptical about purchasing.

- No leap attack for Alien; you have to actually make your way down the friggin' walls to attack someone, and by that point, they've moved and you're completely disoriented as to where you and they are.

- Looks great, particularly the Alien and Predator models, but the feel is way too clunky; feels like a console port, without a doubt. Movement/aiming does not feel right for PC, and though I had quite a lot of kills, it was not easy.

- Overall, even though this was just standard (boring) deathmatch, and I know there's far more modes to the game, it just doesn't feel right. I "sort of" had fun with it, and I'm a total Alien freak, so I don't want to give up on it that easy, but I have to be honest... meh.

Ran great for me, 50fps min, maxed settings. Environment nicely detailed for the most part, though poor level design and some low res textures.

Deathmatch in this felt as exciting as deathmatch in DOOM 3, meaning to say, not at all. Felt "slow", "sluggish" and "clunky" all around in terms of the gameplay. It's not too horrendous, but I don't know... just something not right about it...

Definitely balanced well between class damage, I'll give it that, but my first impressions left me sorely disappointed. Even though this is a demo, it ran great and some good visuals, some great Alien kills, and general movement is fine when just running down corridors. But aiming and movements in general feel like I'm playing with a gamepad, and that was at best settings that still allowed me to use my twitch reactions to still manage getting kills.

I don't know if they left out the Alien's leap from AvP2 completely, or just for the demo, but without it, it's very difficult and almost pointless. Especially because they die relatively easy, so that leap is important. Otherwise, you have to:
- get oriented
- try to run down a wall, pipe or some other structure from some odd angle
- get to the ground
- run up to your enemy and attempt to kill them.

Way too much time out in the open to get shot.

All-in-all, not really for hardcore AvP2 fans, such as myself, and seems way more geared towards casual console shooter fans.

That sums it up pretty well. I'm worried that the SP won't be as creepy as AvP1 or 2 as well. Those two games had amazing atmosphere that still stands to this day. Infestation mode sounds interesting and there is some kind of co-op that might be fun. Its too bad they just tossed in DM with a pretty meh map to show off the game.

Full game will have that, but not in demo but still it sucks.. waiting arent the greatest :(

Full game will have that, but not in demo but still it sucks.. waiting arent the greatest :(

Kinda stupid to release a crappy demo that is not representative of the final product. They are likely going to turn people buying the retail version! :rolleyes::(

Kinda stupid to release a crappy demo that is not representative of the final product. They are likely going to turn people buying the retail version! :rolleyes::(

I hadn't commited on the subject but this demo definitely froze me in my tracks. I doubt I'm buying this on the day it comes out.

That sums it up pretty well. I'm worried that the SP won't be as creepy as AvP1 or 2 as well. Those two games had amazing atmosphere that still stands to this day. Infestation mode sounds interesting and there is some kind of co-op that might be fun. Its too bad they just tossed in DM with a pretty meh map to show off the game.

From my perspective, the ambiance in the demo definitely gave me the tense atmosphere as a Marine. First time I spawn there was nobody around. I started hearing fire and roars in the distance then my tracker started pinging. It took me a good bit to separate my butt from the chair after the ensuing clench. :D

I do agree that the format they chose was probably the worst possible for this game. Understandably, they wanted to show off all three races but I believe that Skirmish or a small slice of a Marine single player level would have been a better choice.

This demo is going to cost them sales. No question about it.

Yeah and did anyone seriously got excited by a random DM with 3 different classes ? I sure didnt, you felt preety much alone much of the rounds, way too big map for 8 people they should have choosen a small corridor map or whatever like in the movies it could be more intense or why not a sp mode instead to let you feel the horror as the marine which i loved most. For now i will wait to buy this demo just made the game less interesting then before.

They need to get an SP demo out ASAP because that's the mode I and probably a bunch of other people are arguably more interested in anyways.

Rebellion should have released a single-player demo.

ZOMG! you mean the lucas arts game from the 90's?? oh wait you mean the dev... well i haventr tried the demo but some of these post make me sadface....

Aye, I really hate to admit this, but I've been completely underwhelmed by the demo so far, and I'm curious to see how many people have changed their minds about preordering it after playing through the demo.

Rights
* All three species/classes look, sound, and feel authentic to the source material

* There also seems to be a pretty decent level of balance, as I didn't necessarily feel one species was overpowered at one point in time.

* Ran extremely smooth with eye-candy (this however is limited to only DX9 with the demo)

Wrongs
*Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Make me a Match...Seriously, it absolutely escapes me why Sega/Rebellion decided to release the demo utilizing a matchmaking system for online play, rather than make their dedicated servers handle the load. And as Chico mentioned, it's the luck of the draw whether you get into a game. You could seriously be waiting several minutes (in my case last night it took me nearly an hour before I could find a steady connection to games) just to play.

*Only Direct X 9 is supported - they left out all the eye candy goodness of DX11 and Eyefinity for the full retail game. I mean I understand they want as many people to try the demo otu before retail, but it would have been nice to have seen the full scope of tech for the game early.

*It's referenced in the beginning video that the demo is of an earlier build, and thus isn't necessarily the finished product. And I truly hope not, at least the interface/menu/controls/options setup. This truly feels like another console port...which surprises me because Rebellion has gone on the record several times stating that the PC Platform was the frontrunner throughout the entire developing cycle, but with the demo, it feels like a complete afterthought.

*Minor, but Annoyance: When in a lobby, your mic is always enabled...just hope you don't get stuck with a heavy breather for too long...

*Minor: There's only one gamemode (deathmatch) which is fine, but the level seems far too large for only 8 people, but I believe it's been confirmed that multiplayer should have at least double if not more that number.

Either way, I wouldn't rush to download this unless you just want a minor taste of what I hope are good things to come. I still plan on sticking with my preorder, but I'm interested to see how many others will after playing the demo...

This sucks, I was really looking forward to the demo - and the game - however the way it is now I am not interested at all. Rather spend my money on something else.

from what I understand the demo is only dx9 and isn't an accurate representation of the final product as that has a separate version developed for pc versus a console port. Of course if they release a crappy demo and lose half their interested fan base its all on them.

i havent even been able to get into a single game yet... so, so far no good at all.

After playing a dozen matches, this game isn't too bad. I just wished it was species death match. I was able to pull off an improvised 3 man marine squad, and it was a complete blast.

I think they released the original AvP by accident. I was expecting the 2010 game.

I am confused, what would have made more people like it? I understand the rage against this and seeing every other person say they cancel pre-orders. To the doubters, what would ahve made you want to buy it?

I am confused, what would have made more people like it? I understand the rage against this and seeing every other person say they cancel pre-orders. To the doubters, what would ahve made you want to buy it?

Something that didn't basically look and feel like a 3-4 year old Xbox game? Something that didn't suck, basically?

That's just my take on it. Not speaking for anyone else. Although again, I'd like to see an SP demo.

Back