It is not enough to have a set of good headphones, you have to worry about the sound card used as well, and what about mic input quality? and mic quality itself?
I am in the market for some audio upgrades. I had a set of Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers once, best speakers I have ever had, but they died on me, and now I am in audio darkness.
http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file=north_product_detail&iproduct_id=MX5021
Incidentally Altec Lansing seems to be going backwards in terms of computer speaker offerings.
Using integrated audio after an older sound card did not work on a newer vista system I had built. But due to roommate considerations, I prefer headphones anyway, and that is where I am now.
Reportedly the best sounding card for headphones is one of those Asus cards that costs two HUNDRED DOLLARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
... a bit steep for my budget, 100 would be ok, but how much of a quality sacrifice would that be? Need the room so that some cash can be spend on a new set of headphones as well, using a standard plantronics headset now, and it gets the job done, but it's not great.
So here is a question, assuming decent headphones, would it be THAT terrible to use something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001
instead of cards like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271004
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010
192kh sample rate that important?
headphone amp only really useful for high impedance headphones?
Basically can I get near top quality headphone listening for around the 100 dollar mark sound cards instead of the 200 dollar beasts.
I am in the market for some audio upgrades. I had a set of Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers once, best speakers I have ever had, but they died on me, and now I am in audio darkness.
http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file=north_product_detail&iproduct_id=MX5021
Incidentally Altec Lansing seems to be going backwards in terms of computer speaker offerings.
Using integrated audio after an older sound card did not work on a newer vista system I had built. But due to roommate considerations, I prefer headphones anyway, and that is where I am now.
Reportedly the best sounding card for headphones is one of those Asus cards that costs two HUNDRED DOLLARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
... a bit steep for my budget, 100 would be ok, but how much of a quality sacrifice would that be? Need the room so that some cash can be spend on a new set of headphones as well, using a standard plantronics headset now, and it gets the job done, but it's not great.
So here is a question, assuming decent headphones, would it be THAT terrible to use something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001
instead of cards like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271004
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010
192kh sample rate that important?
headphone amp only really useful for high impedance headphones?
Basically can I get near top quality headphone listening for around the 100 dollar mark sound cards instead of the 200 dollar beasts.