• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Avoiding hearing damage with headphones.

Jospeh

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
1,885
I recently purchased a set of headphones(I used speakers before exclusively) and I don't want to rape my hearing. I don't really know much about the subject so if you could share some advice, that would be great.
 
Its simple, too loud = hearing damage.
Dont play really loud.
If you play loud, dont do it for long periods.
If its in any way uncomfortable its definitely too loud.

Damage can accrue slowly and may not be able to tell for a long time, when its too late to change your habits.
Ear ringing is a very common complaint and is easy to start and nigh on impossible to stop.
To be safe, act safe.

Why do you ask, are you prone to playing very loud?
 
Start with the volume on minimum and slowly turn it up to a volume that's loud enough so you feel like you're hearing it, but doesn't feel "overly loud" (you'll get a sense of it feeling overpowered after a certain point and at that point you turn it down as opposed to the people who might get intoxicated by that and leave it on or crank it up more). The key is starting off cautious.

Also, in windows disable the setting "let application take exclusive control over audio device" so that it can't just shoot the volume up or down (like with stupid PowerDVD etc...)
 
Its simple, too loud = hearing damage.
Dont play really loud.
Why do you ask, are you prone to playing very loud?
Not exactly. I understand that too loud=hearing damage but I don't understand what "too loud' is.
 
Not exactly. I understand that too loud=hearing damage but I don't understand what "too loud' is.

From my post
If its in any way uncomfortable its definitely too loud.

Everyone has different tolerance levels so some can injure hearing at levels below those that cause discomfort.
Throughout your life you know what a normal sound level is for conversation, music at a nightclub etc.
I'm sure you know how loud is not pleasant and what is very loud to you without hurting.
Stay below very loud and you can tolerate long listening times without problem.

Some hearing loss will occur as you age anyway so its not easy to determine the cause of some hearing issues.
There is PLENTY of research on hearing loss and tolerable levels of sound on the web.
If you are serious, arm yourself with a decibel meter, I have a cheap one from Maplins and its fine for measurements over 60dB.

Here is a useful chart that also covers how long you can expose yourself to high sound levels.
I dont trust the higher levels so much, I think any exposure to levels over 110dB is going to leave its mark somehow. ie damage to the ear drum.
http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm
For quick reference: a raise of 3dB is double the energy, a raise of 10dB 'sounds' twice as loud. and is 10x the energy!
 
Last edited:
nenu gives good advice. :)


as far as what hearing damage will do, if you have ringing in your ears after using headphones, its too loud

roughly 70-75 dB is where you should be listening, with peaks ideally no greater than 85-90 dB, anything higher and you will damage your hearing, its just a matter of time (80 dB can sustained for hours a day with no issues, but it can catch up to you after a year or two)

generally the non-technical suggestions in this thread are spot-on, if its painful, turn it down, don't crank it up so loud it shakes your head, etc, but it is wise to understand what nenu is saying, some people have higher tolerance to pain or loud noise, I know plenty of people who will listen at 100dB or higher (its a shame), and others that express pain at 65-70 dB, so keep that in mind, if you're used to blasting your speakers, be wary with headphones, its far closer to your ear drum and can do quite a bit of damage, quite quickly (especially if you've got some insane setup like a pair of SR-225's fed by one of those Singlepower boxes that'll do >5W/ch (yeah.) and think that 80% on the knob with HIGH GAIN is the way to play (you'd probably take your hearing out (yes I mean headache and then deaf) in the first 20-30 minutes with such a setup, mind you))
 
you can get a ratshack db meter if you're really worried about it.

link
decibels.jpg
 
too loud is way to subjective for someone to tell you what that means to yourself beyond telling what are "safe" levels but even then that only helps if you have a dB meter.

It is like me saying "I like to drink beer, but how much is too much for me to drink? and then us saying 0.08 blood alcohol level is considered drunk.

if it hurts to listen to it is way too loud and don't try to turn up the volume just to drown out ambient noise but otherwise it depends mainly on your headphones and listening setting and source material.
 
As a very crude example, I'd say that volumes equivalent of operating a blender or gas lawn mower are far too loud for anything more than a brief listening session. Of course, noise is undesirable and music (that you like) is not, so it's easier to reach those volumes without realizing it. I'd aim for a normal conversation level of volume or lower.

Or you can find a volume that's just barely too quiet and turn it up just a tad. Of course, this is assuming you're listening in a quiet environment. Good headphones also help so you may be less tempted to crank it up to 'sound' good. This also assumes that your perception of 'too quiet' isn't too loud to begin with.

For a more objective idea, I'd say get a sound meter from Radio Shack, stick it in your headphones while playing a variety of music, and adjust your volume accordingly. I aim for 60-70, then further crank down the volume a notch or two.
 
Just use common sense, I've always worn headphones a lot (both at home w/full size headphones and on-the-go with IEMs) and I'm one of the people with the best ear amongst my friends/family... Granted I'm young (27) and maybe whatever damage I've caused hasn't presented itself, but still. SockMan's suggestion is a good way to look about it, if less-desirable sounds would bother you at the same sound level, then it's probably too high.
 
It takes a whole lot of volume to reach those db levels that show damage at less than 1min of usage. i've been there and my left ear's never been the same.
 
Another one to watch out for if you are using a hifi system (not headphones - I dont think...):

When testing your subwoofer, be careful not to stick your head near it if its pumping some bass.
I've been doing this for years, standing close to the subwoofer when setting hifi's up but one time something changed in my right ear, it felt loose in some way.
It took about 1/2 a year to stop being a normal feeling and for it not to be aggravated by bass.
I can still feel it on odd occasions when a room energises to a high level at a certain frequency.
Guess I was lucky it hasnt made more of a difference.

This demonstrates a lesser type of damage that can occur.
 
Hehehe Nenu I'm not laughing at you... but you just reminded of somethin. My left ear used to get a ringing vibrating sensation in the vocal range frequency, this was after I messed it up, lasted maybe 3 months.. totally forgot about that. Back to the OP, the thing to do is set a good volume when your ears are not used to loud sounds.. as in you just sat down to play some game or enjoy music and try not to ramp it up from there as your ears get used to the level you set initially.. It's hard to resist.. but that's the only advice I can give. On another note .. everyone says headphones or inear phones are worst. I'd say I've had far more headaches and ringing ears from clubs or home and car systems then headphones, even though I've got bad habits.
 
Back
Top