avoid corrupting memoy on card?

SureShot

Limp Gawd
After my 6600GT got such bad artifacting to the point I couldn't boot to the desktop, I've been really concerned about the same thing happening to my new card (in sig). I didn't have my old card overclocked so I guess it just went cause it was its time :confused: Is there any precautions I can take so that doesn't happen to my new card?:(

not really, just keep it cool, which the stockcooler should do just fine for. if you overclcok watch you temps.

If its factory overclocked it can be a problem also, these days. Overall there is nothing you can do, like above poster said. Sometimes the card is dying right out the box because of poor manufacturing QC.

If its factory overclocked it can be a problem also, these days. Overall there is nothing you can do, like above poster said. Sometimes the card is dying right out the box because of poor manufacturing QC.

How does XFX fair up quality wise?

They do pretty well. They are in the "big 3" for Nvidia. Luckly, the 8800's all come with essentually the same cooler. Its not like the days of old and the 7x series where different brands came with different coolers. I still don't like the idea of having a HSF on your card and have it not even touching the mem dims.. :eek:

They do pretty well. They are in the "big 3" for Nvidia. Luckly, the 8800's all come with essentually the same cooler. Its not like the days of old and the 7x series where different brands came with different coolers. I still don't like the idea of having a HSF on your card and have it not even touching the mem dims.. :eek:

I just hope I can get ATLEAST a year out of this card... Couldn't believe the old one went under a year along with the ocz modstream psu I had.

I just hope I can get ATLEAST a year out of this card... Couldn't believe the old one went under a year along with the ocz modstream psu I had.

If it has the index 8800 series cooler, there is no reason why it shouldn't last at least a year. Really, I think that cooling solutions on higher end cards are going to change big time in the next few years. The days of cheap 2oz copper hs and 25 cent fans on high end gpus are soon to be over. Companies like EVGA who have good warranties are starting to learn that its better to have a good quality product in the first place than to have to replace sub-par parts/ parif's. An awesome example is that sitting next to me is an 8800gts 320mb and a 7600gt. Both are made by evga. First off, its obvious that the cooling solution on the 8800gts is worlds better than the standard 7600gt's The 8800gts has a cooler that I would buy aftermarket and stick on any card, whereas the 7600gt's would be the one that I would be replacing. Another thing that not many people notice is the change in caps. Higher end cards (at least on Nvidia's cards) are coming standard with all solid state capacitors and the build quality its notably better. IMHO, the days of 2 year lifespans on cards are over.

If it has the index 8800 series cooler, there is no reason why it shouldn't last at least a year. Really, I think that cooling solutions on higher end cards are going to change big time in the next few years. The days of cheap 2oz copper hs and 25 cent fans on high end gpus are soon to be over. Companies like EVGA who have good warranties are starting to learn that its better to have a good quality product in the first place than to have to replace sub-par parts/ parif's. An awesome example is that sitting next to me is an 8800gts 320mb and a 7600gt. Both are made by evga. First off, its obvious that the cooling solution on the 8800gts is worlds better than the standard 7600gt's The 8800gts has a cooler that I would buy aftermarket and stick on any card, whereas the 7600gt's would be the one that I would be replacing. Another thing that not many people notice is the change in caps. Higher end cards (at least on Nvidia's cards) are coming standard with all solid state capacitors and the build quality its notably better. IMHO, the days of 2 year lifespans on cards are over.
'

hell, i have an 8500 aiw and a tnt2 riva that still work lol

'

hell, i have an 8500 aiw and a tnt2 riva that still work lol

I have an ati 7500, 9200 and x850 floating around too. Pre 9x/5x series cards produced small amounts of heat, extending their life by quite a bit. Most of them didn't have fans but just a small heat sink and memory chips exposed. The only threads you see about them is when somebody breaks off a cap off of the x850/x800's. How many threads are there about artifacting 6800's and dead 9800xt/pros? Most of the older cards didn't need much to run. Its post 9X00/5X00 series that we start to see problems. Hell, I'm starting to see a lot of dead 6600gt threads popping up. Theres no reason for that other than poor build quality imo.

yeah just use them and dont abuse them, i still have a tnt2 that works as well, and a voodoo2

yeah just use them and dont abuse them, i still have a tnt2 that works as well, and a voodoo2

I'm wondering if the "PEG Link Mode" setting i'n my bios had anything to do with the premature demise of my 6600GT. I overclocked the thing like once but set it back to stock clocks a long time ago. :rolleyes: It's so weird cause it just happened out of nowhere, and I surely hope it doesn't happen again.

I have a BFG 6800gt that i replaced with an 8800gts. The BFG card was still running perfectly after 1.5-2 years. The only thing I could find for improvement was the two small fans cooling the giant copper heatsink. Not to mention it's not as silent as my 8800gts because of those two fans (and their age... they rattle a bit unless you turn down the fan speed).

I have an ati 7500, 9200 and x850 floating around too. Pre 9x/5x series cards produced small amounts of heat, extending their life by quite a bit. Most of them didn't have fans but just a small heat sink and memory chips exposed. The only threads you see about them is when somebody breaks off a cap off of the x850/x800's. How many threads are there about artifacting 6800's and dead 9800xt/pros? Most of the older cards didn't need much to run. Its post 9X00/5X00 series that we start to see problems. Hell, I'm starting to see a lot of dead 6600gt threads popping up. Theres no reason for that other than poor build quality imo.

my xfx 6600gt runs overclocked to the limit since day one, which was about 3 years ago. but i did replace the stock cooler with a zahlman one.
i have a lot of old cards that still work fine. i saw way more mobo's die than gfx cards :(

After my 6600GT got such bad artifacting to the point I couldn't boot to the desktop, I've been really concerned about the same thing happening to my new card (in sig). I didn't have my old card overclocked so I guess it just went cause it was its time :confused: Is there any precautions I can take so that doesn't happen to my new card?:(

Your best bet is to get a card with a lifetime warranty. Your second best bet would be to get better cooling. If you can, get both. I believe Evga has a lifetime warranty and will honor it even if you put an after market cooler onto your card.

Back