Avira 9 system hit?

Burke

Limp Gawd
I'm an Avira Premium user, but man, the new version 9 (clean installed) seems to have gained quite a few pounds in terms of system impact. There was never any appreciable slowdown or stutter with version 8, but just dragging a window around is choppy since installing 9.

Anyone else experiencing such a thing?

I am on windows 7 x64 7057, and to be honest i agree, whilst it is not slow by any stretch, it denately feels like crap when i just formatted from eset smart security, i know esets been down a bit lately, but im very close to returning to it, its not a very user friendly app either, i am not a noob, but i feel like i dont realy have full in depth control over what it is doing.

I gave the "new" free version a try a few days ago on a test machine. The new version covers not only AV duties but malware/spyware to some degree as well, so it's gunning for Eset Smart Security as well as other protection "suites" that are out there nowadays.

Ran fine on the test machine, RAM usage wasn't too different from NOD32 v2.7 to be honest, fairly light. ESS v3 is fairly heavy; v4 is a bit lighter in my experience and testing.

But I've got nothing negative to say against Avira at this point.

Here's the truly scary statistic/fact:

The last AV Comparitives test has Symantec/Norton AV 2009 ahead of Eset NOD32... what's the world coming to...

The last AV Comparitives test has Symantec/Norton AV 2009 ahead of Eset NOD32... what's the world coming to...

I saw that, i like the new site design, that is what made me try the new avira security suite, but yer, eset was so much nicer on the system, but they have slipped in the virus/trojan arena.

I gave the "new" free version a try a few days ago on a test machine. The new version covers not only AV duties but malware/spyware to some degree as well, so it's gunning for Eset Smart Security as well as other protection "suites" that are out there nowadays.

I clean installed it again early this morning, and I guess I somehow either didn't seem them, or fast-clicked through the real-time spy/malware scanning options last time. I unchecked all of those components as a test, and blamo, the "snappiness" returned.

Symantec/Norton has been ahead of Eset in many comparitives for quite some time now. That's not exactly shocking news anymore.

synthetically, avira is the best there is, havent heard anything about the firewall but? and as i said, i am feeling performance hit from it, on my rig, i wouldnt of hoped too :(

Symantec/Norton has been ahead of Eset in many comparitives for quite some time now. That's not exactly shocking news anymore.

It'll always be shocking news. That big bloated turd that NAV turned into was horrible, and they didn't even try to fix it when there were problems -- they just made it more bloated. Now years later they finally figured out why nobody like their software and are trying to fix it...

It'll always be shocking news. That big bloated turd that NAV turned into was horrible, and they didn't even try to fix it when there were problems -- they just made it more bloated. Now years later they finally figured out why nobody like their software and are trying to fix it...

Better late then never. Plus competition is good for us the consumer. :)

As much as apparently nortan has changed and is now awesome, it just feels so wrong to even consider them in the same legue, but there was also a time when i would think anybody not using their product were idiots.

ESET has slipped, and has been slipping for a while now, at least in the tests. Besides, they never did THAT great on the on demand tests (the latest on AV Comparatives), they do better, and always have on the proactive/hueristics tests.

That being said, with free AVs like Avira and Avast doing SO well these days, and Comodo's CIS as an up and comer (along with an amazing firewall and HIPS), I see NO reason to pay for security software anymore, and you can still feel safer than with the paid products.

I odnt mind paying for products in anyway shape or form, but i love it when free ones start offering the same if not better service...

Back