AVI to iTunes (iPod)

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a long flight coming up and i'm trying to add some videos to iTunes. They're all in AVI and apparently iTunes/iPod only read...

"QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player."

Is there a good free converter?

All of the ones I see have some type of restriction (90 secs, watermark, ect).

HandBrake. Get it, install it, load whatever video file you have in AVI format, select the iPhone/iPod touch preset (or iPad if that's your device), click Start, wait for it to finish, import the resulting file into iTunes and sync. You're done.

/thread

I use Handbrake. It works perfectly to transcode videos into iTunes compatible files, and is dead simple to use.

Or you could use Aneesoft Free video Converter, a program that can convert between many general video formats like *.mp4, *.wmv, *.avi, *.flv, *. mov, *.3gp, *.asf, .etc.
You can google it.

I just discovered Handbrake after years of fighting with other programs. I am in bliss

I just discovered Handbrake after years of fighting with other programs. I am in bliss

Hah the crazy part is that its FREE! Glad this worked out for you. Handbrake definitely changed the way I look at any video conversion software.

Just google search Easy Solution to Convert and Import AVI to iTunes so as to Transfer AVI Files to iPad/iPhone/iPod successfully

you will find a step by step guide and a nice software to convert and import avi to itunes for transfer to ipad, ipod iphone, apple tv and more

As you have discovered, iTunes doesn't recognize the .avi format. You will need to convert it to mp3 or another format that iTunes uses. There are numerous utilities -- free and otherwise -- that will do that. Since you didn't say which OS you're using, I can't recommend one. But a simple search on Google or Yahoo! for "avi to mp3" will show you what I mean.

Back