AVG Virus Scanner Deletes Critical Windows File

Never had issues with 6/7/7.5 but 8 has had a raft of errors, failed updates and corrupted CTF files since I've been using it.

Amazing how a product can go from being nice stable and quiet (7.5) to a noisy troublesome teenager almost overnight. Backwards development?

I ditched AVG a while back for two reasons. It installed some firewall filter driver that kept BSODing my system and on at least 3 different occasions my C&C3 executable (retail exe, not a crack) was deemed to be a virus. The first time the file was deleted because I hadn't turned off auto-fix. The other two times I couldn't even play the game because AVG constantly it called a virus and kept kicking me out.

So after that goodbye it went. I use Avast now and have yet to see a false positive. If Avast ever gives me any grief I'll probably grab NOD32.

I knew I had a bad feeling in my gut when I was updating AVG 7.5 on a customer's computer. I don't know if its because of his computer, or AVG, but I'm pissed at something.

If it is AVG, I won't install this software on my worst enemy's computer (I'd install Norton, but not AVG)

Oh, and experience. It's a very rare day indeed when any AV has found a real virus on my PC.

Back