AVG or alternative?

BossNoodleKaboodle

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm currently using AVG professional 7. I was browsing in IE and I got a page from a google search result that actually downloaded a virus to the C:\ path directly. I didn't know that was possible. AVG was enabled and it did it anyway. I think I got rid of all of the Trojan downloaders that it managed to install in that split second. The virus was called m00.exe. Is there a program that I can run in a Windows environment that wll give me good protection? I would like something thats an internal software solution for the moment because I just moved ten thousand miles and I'm not sure where I'll be next week.

don't use IE.. that is my solution to prevent problems like you just described.. and i use symantec corporate personally.. but i saw a big thread the other day about virus programs.. read it.. people reccomeneded basically everything out there though.. it just seems to be all preference...

AVG usually does good work, but I switched at the advice of a friend to Avast. It does come down to preference and those spyware / trojans are created so fast, that some will slip by. Like the poster above me said, a quick resolution would be to stop using IE (or anything based off the IE engine).

thanks. i downloaded Avast home and it seems to be a bit more comprehensive than AVG. if anyone else has any input its much appreciated.

I've stopped using Internet Exploder about 2 or 3 years ago. If you want a great alternative browser i recommend Mozilla.
There you can check into Firefox, which is newer and has better plug-in support, and it's sister app- Thunderbird, which is a great email client. I however use the Mozilla suite, because of it's superior functionality, built in options, and email client built into the browser itself (no seperate download or program needing to be open). Not to mention Mozilla uses less active resources. Either are a great alternative though. If not Mozilla try Opera. That's also a great browser. :)

Really though. Try the Mozilla suite. Much nicer then Firefox imo. Might not be getting as much love as firefox lately but really it is superior :cool:

Back