AVG Internet Security 2015

Terms and conditions
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This is a 1-computer 1-year license, for home use

Please note, this freebie is really a 365 day extended trial of AVG Internet Security 2015 instead of an actual one year license. In terms of features and protections, there are no differences between a trial and a real license -- you get all the same features, updates, and protection. The difference arises in who can install it. This is only for new users of AVG. If you have used AVG in the past, you will get less than 365 days or an expired license.

You get free updates for one year

No free tech support

Must be downloaded, installed, and registered before this offer is over

May not be resold

No refunds and exchanges; if you are having trouble activating or registering, please ask for help

AVG has always been good , i used the free edition always until i got nod32 for free during christmas so imma be passing on this right now which sucks i cannot activate later with a key..

if you don't have a premium AV then this is a really damn good deal for a upgrade.

I am not using AVG. So here is my key IBY9X-ESYXT-W4BZQ-QI4WX-A9LI7-INRS3 go grab it while it's not too late. :)

Unless you are some 12yr old kid installing everything that they can get their hands on, you are perfectly safe with running MSE.

Unless you are some 12yr old kid installing everything that they can get their hands on, you are perfectly safe with running MSE.

True that. Some people are thinking MSE provides a good Internet security.

MSE is fine unless you insist on unsafe practices.

I run MSE and Malwarebytes.

If you are running into a virus a month you have bigger issues than deciding what AV to go with.

If you are running into a virus a month you have bigger issues than deciding what AV to go with.

100% this, I use MSE only and it is more than sufficient for me. I'll be getting the AVG license for my grandmothers computer (that I manage remotely) though.

This isn't true, I know someone who got hit by drive by virus, someone whom NEVER says yes to any UAC prompt and was using firefox along with MSE. The reality is now days websites attack the living shit out of computers often through ads because browser makers and OS makers just are doing a very poor job isolating the system and not providing them a way in. In general good browsing habits stops a lot but a decent antivirus stops a little more and that can save you. MSE used to be better buts its performance in recent years has dropped enough that I can no longer rely on it.

Yep. I considered MSE as decent if that. Anti-Spyware, but when it comes to protection from Trojans,Viruses. MSE is a joke.

Been using avg for about 10 years now. I always liked it, It feels light (don't notice it running).

MSE is crap , Microsoft even admitted it. Horrible advice. If you get a premium addition of AVG vs MSE , the answer is plain and simple go AVG!
Heck even the free AVG is better with MWB

AVG Premium + Malwarebytes = WINNING!

This advice is stupid.

It's like telling someone to continue enjoying the STD cesspool but just to double up on the wrapping.

The whole point is to avoid it in the first place.

MSE + Malwarebytes is more than enough protection unless you are googling "minecraft mods" and downloading everything you find.

Pro tip of the day.. the Microsoft engineer who said MSE is crap no longer works for Microsoft.

If AVG was so great than everyone would be using it. I support users on all major AV platforms and there is no golden ticket that will prevent stupid.

Well. A lot of people using AVG and Avast!. More than MSE. So they have fired Microsoft engineer for speaking the truth?.

Last edited:
Pro tip of the day.. the Microsoft engineer who said MSE is crap no longer works for Microsoft.

That's not a tip, let alone a protip. Hell, that's nothing. Its a pointless little tidbit of information that does nothing to prove your point.

Well. A lot of people using AVG and Avast!. More than MSE. So they have fired Microsoft engineer for speaking the truth?.

THIS THIS THIS x 1000000000000000000

To all that disagree to each there own.

Why are you'll even arguing . MSE fangirls :(

+ This is or was free so who cares.

Just so we clear everything up , " Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender on Windows 8) was once on top. Over the years, it’s slid in the test results, but Microsoft argued the tests weren’t meaningful. Now, Microsoft is advising Windows users to use a third-party antivirus instead.

This revelation comes to us from an interview Microsoft gave. Microsoft’s official website still bills MSE as offering “comprehensive malware protection” without any hint that they no longer recommend using it. Microsoft is not communicating well with its users.

Update: Microsoft has now released a statement, saying “We believe in Microsoft antimalware products and strongly recommend them to our customers, to our friends, and to our families.” Their statement unfortunately doesn’t directly address Holly Stewart’s comments or MSE’s history of worsening test scores. Given MSE’s poor scores, all the stories we’ve heard about it failing people in the real world, and Microsoft’s inconsistent communication, we still don’t feel we can recommend MSE anymore."

"The latest tests from Dennis Publishing's security labs saw Microsoft Security Essentials fail to detect 39% of the real-world malware thrown at it. Dennis Technology Labs (DTL) tested nine home security products on a Windows 7 PC, including Security Essentials, which is distributed free to Windows users and built into Windows 8 in the form of Windows Defender. While the other eight packages all achieved protection scores of 87% or higher — with five scoring 98% or 99% — Microsoft's free antivirus software protected against only 61% of the malware samples used in the test. Microsoft conceded last year that its security software was intended to offer only "BASELINE" performance"."

Why would you want baseline over AVG premium?

MSE has gotten worse scores the webroot for the last couple of years. and by worse i mean WAY WORSE SCORES!

Last edited:

MSE is better than nothing.

But only marginally so. Its detection rates, for common current threats, are abysmal.

Mostly because, like all other security considerations in a Windows environment, security is an afterthought.

MSE is crap , Microsoft even admitted it. Horrible advice. If you get a premium addition of AVG vs MSE , the answer is plain and simple go AVG!
Heck even the free AVG is better with MWB

AVG Premium + Malwarebytes = WINNING!

Actually, something like FSecure+Malwarebytes = Win.

AVG's detection rates are in the "acceptable" range.

Mostly the reason I don't simply point people to FSecure is because the user interface is painfully obtuse, meaning that trying to dig your system out of FSecure's total lockdown default can be a persistant, stabbing pain in the balls.

AVG and Avast are fairly comparable. Their detection rates compared to FSecure aren't as good, but their user interfaces are a bit easier to navigate (though AVG's firewall in their "suite" products can be painfully stupid about things like needing to open ports).

Several rungs down are Norton and McAfee.
Both of these products have basically pissed away defacto leadership in the market through inferior detection rates, insane resource use, and basically useless configuration controls. On top of that, you have these companies pushing SAAS client versions as well, destroying usability further and not really helping detection rates at all.

MSE is basically at the bottom of the barrel. MSE is probably better than nothing. But only marginally so.

I will just throw this out there I once purchased Fsecure and they ended up having some bug that caused instability in x64 windows vista. That was the last time I ever purchased antivirus. Got sick of it, same I saw a recent study where panda came out pretty good, tried it out and immediately had problem, uninstalled it. My biggest problem with antivirus and why avast and AVG have seemed to hang in there is because antivirus can sometimes be worse than actually getting a virus. Slowing systems down, causing software to not work, creating instability. I found that ultimately the free versions were nice because no matter what I can just throw them out and get something else if I am not happy.

I tried AVG a few years ago.. it was crap then.. really bloated and slow.

Been using MSE for a few years and have only ever had the odd malware/spyware get through.

Going to give the new AVG a try and see how I like it.

Adblock Plus (please whitelist [H]) will do more to keep the creepers away than most AVs for overclicking interneters.

So this is actually just an extended (1 year) trial.

Some of the functionality (the PC Tuneup) when run tries to get you to buy the registered version. I haven't run into anything else that prompts you to buy though.

When you run it, it also takes you to a download page to download it after you run the initial scan. Seems kind of like those scammy programs that say they have found thousands of problems with your computer but won't fix it until you buy their fakeware.

Edit: Ok, this is getting to be like a really spammy/scammy program. When I opened up FF, it popped up and wanted to set my home and search page to an AVG page.

Edit2: After scanning for viruses, etc., it auto quarantines stuff. To get stuff back it wants to get rid of, you have to open the vault and restore it. I would rather have it let me decide what to keep and what to get rid of, especially since everything it found were false positives.

At least it didn't detect a static array generator that I wrote for my primes program as a virus like another scanner that find it every time.

Edit 3: The link in the OP still works, but they took it off of the deals page from what I can tell since it wasn't showing up for me anymore.

Edit 4: Went back to the page again, and AVG was showing up. Do they randomize the order of what shows up or something?

Edit 5: The AVG PC Tuneup part of this is a piece of trash. It starts popping up ads trying to get you to buy it, and then when you get fed up and uninstall it, it send you to their web page to try to get you to buy it.

The whole thing wreaks of a "Free, but we will hound you to buy more stuff" type product... kind of like the "free" version of Avast.

Last edited:

Some of the functionality (the PC Tuneup) when run tries to get you to buy the registered version. I haven't run into anything else that prompts you to buy though.

When you run it, it also takes you to a download page to download it after you run the initial scan. Seems kind of like those scammy programs that say they have found thousands of problems with your computer but won't fix it until you buy their fakeware.

Edit: Ok, this is getting to be like a really spammy/scammy program. When I opened up FF, it popped up and wanted to set my home and search page to an AVG page.
Can you PM me a link to the file you have downloaded?.
I would say you have download something else.

Edit2: After scanning for viruses, etc., it auto quarantines stuff. To get stuff back it wants to get rid of, you have to open the vault and restore it. I would rather have it let me decide what to keep and what to get rid of, especially since everything it found were false positives.

At least it didn't detect a static array generator that I wrote for my primes program as a virus like another scanner that find it every time.

Edit 3: The link in the OP still works, but they took it off of the deals page from what I can tell since it wasn't showing up for me anymore.

Edit 4: Went back to the page again, and AVG was showing up. Do they randomize the order of what shows up or something?

Edit 5: The AVG PC Tuneup part of this is a piece of trash. It starts popping up ads trying to get you to buy it, and then when you get fed up and uninstall it, it send you to their web page to try to get you to buy it.

The whole thing wreaks of a "Free, but we will hound you to buy more stuff" type product... kind of like the "free" version of Avast.

Yeah that PC Tuneup thing is a joke... I don't know why I even tried it out, was more curious than anything I guess. When it finished its run, my computer would get a BSOD saying DPC Watchdog Violation. After about 15-20 secs. being booted into windows it would blue screen again, by the time I could figure out what was going on I had gone thru half a dozen cycles. Ended up pointing to 3 different drivers all causing the DPC violation, ended up just system restoring to when I installed AVG and just did not install it this time.

Back