AVG 8 Free released

No it doesn't. Al you get is the AV, which is all I want anyway.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition#tba2

AVG Free does not contain the new Safe Downloads & Instant Messaging protection (Web Shield technology) so it does not screen your downloads and communication for viruses and spyware.

AVG Free only includes the Safe Search protection which provides you with advice on search results. It does not protect against infected pages. Only AVG paid versions contain the Safe Surf technology.

Zug? I said it included AS and link scanner. Not any of that stuff. Not to sound like a smartass, but if you're downloading random files off teh interwebs or accepting anonymous files over IM from strangers, you shouldn't be using a computer.

Hmm... eh no thanks. I'll stick to Mcafee 8.5 Enterprise. But I will tell my friends who are still using 7.5 to get this.

question: would it still scan through ff when you dl? I have it so that eveyrthing i download gets scanned right after i download... would 8 still do that? if not, im sticking with 7...

better safe than sorry

I would suppose not since it specifically says it doesn't include download scanning. But was this ever a feature in their free version? I think AVG free users should upgrade regardless since the ewido AS engine was pretty advanced. Should be able to better detect trojans, keyloggers, and other various nasties better. Just do the old right-scan scan if you have to download a suspicious file. I'm guessing on-access scanning would take place anyway if you try to launch the executable.

hmmm idk, ill have to try it. I scan everything, suspicious file or not. and then even every pic. that comes through firefox to my PC gets scanned...

No it doesn't. Al you get is the AV, which is all I want anyway.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition#tba2

AVG Free does not contain the new Safe Downloads & Instant Messaging protection (Web Shield technology) so it does not screen your downloads and communication for viruses and spyware.

Avast 4.8 free edition includes that..network/web shield scanner, instant messaging scanner, p2p scanner, e-mail scanner. Plus spyware and rootkit protection. I used to use AVG Free(also used other pay AV programs) on a few of my machines and switched to Avast a while ago and have been happy with it.

I don't like using resident web scanners. Everyone of them that I have used slows down browsing too much, including Avast. I went back to AVG site and see it does include some sort of anti spyware protection but haven't installed it yet to see what it does exactly. AVG has a free sepaperate download for a rootkit scanner too, so does Panda software.

Zug? I said it included AS and link scanner. Not any of that stuff. Not to sound like a smartass, but if you're downloading random files off teh interwebs or accepting anonymous files over IM from strangers, you shouldn't be using a computer.

OK, sorry, I didn't read the AVG chart correctly and see AVG 8.0 also does spyware scanning, unlike 7.5. I'll go install it now, thanks.

The web scanner is really annoying, I ended up uninstalling that portion. When you did a web search, it would scan every result and tell you whether it was safe or not. Also, it would scan every web page before you visited it. Made my internet slow (ps, my Mom even wanted to remove the Web shield from her computer). So, unless you visit some shady pr0n sites, i find the Web shield a nice idea, but too slow. Otherwise, AVG 8 is pretty nice. It is kind of an all-in-one package. and is prettier than 7.

As a rule I very much dislike antivirus software.

A friend just recomended AVG and it has none of the obnoxious features I have come to hate in norton or mcaffe.

I really like it. Not intrusive, doesnt kill system performance, etc. I get free McAffe with comcast and still wont use it.

So, um, ah, ya, I like it :)

Only problem with AVG is that it is not the best at detecting virii. Apparently NOD32 is the best if you want a good lightweight scanner but I'm too cheap to pay for AV software so AVG is my choice because it can be configured to be less obtrusive than the free Avast.

I also turned off the link scanner. But now there is an exclamation point in the tray icon. Is there a way to turn off some AVG functions and not have the exclamation point show up?

I also turned off the link scanner. But now there is an exclamation point in the tray icon. Is there a way to turn off some AVG functions and not have the exclamation point show up?

Yeah that bugs the hell out of me too. I looked everywhere and there's no visible option to turn that off.

Only problem with AVG is that it is not the best at detecting virii. Apparently NOD32 is the best if you want a good lightweight scanner but I'm too cheap to pay for AV software so AVG is my choice because it can be configured to be less obtrusive than the free Avast.

I used AVG for years before finally trying NOD32 on a trial. I liked it so I bit on an OEM license sale Newegg was having on NOD32. Truly a fire and forget AV, no annoying in your face updates, scans, or other nonsense. I often forget I even have it.

AVG 8.0 is really nice though I have it installed on my HTPC and I have to say so far it seams a lot less clunky than 7.5 was, however I'll reserve judgment till I've been using it awhile. NOD32 ftw if you pay though.

I don't like using resident web scanners. Everyone of them that I have used slows down browsing too much, including Avast. I went back to AVG site and see it does include some sort of anti spyware protection but haven't installed it yet to see what it does exactly. AVG has a free sepaperate download for a rootkit scanner too, so does Panda software.

I haven't noticed any slow down.

The web scanner is really annoying, I ended up uninstalling that portion. When you did a web search, it would scan every result and tell you whether it was safe or not. Also, it would scan every web page before you visited it. Made my internet slow (ps, my Mom even wanted to remove the Web shield from her computer). So, unless you visit some shady pr0n sites, i find the Web shield a nice idea, but too slow. Otherwise, AVG 8 is pretty nice. It is kind of an all-in-one package. and is prettier than 7.

What web scanner are you talking about? For what product? Avast's web scanner doesn't tell you if a site is safe or not, doesn't work like that.

He was talking about the AVG web scanner. I noticed the Avast scanner slows down browsing but not as bad as the F-Secure scanner I checked out last week. When I used Avast it was on a single core cpu so probably wouldn't be as noticeable on my newer dual core cpu.

That's the nature of a web scanner, you take a slight hit(some programs might be more than a slight hit) but it depends if you notice it or not. For me it's not noticeable at all, my download speeds are fine. AVG and Avast are both decent I just happen to like Avast at the moment because it's detection rate is decent, it's has more features and their support forum is actually pretty good.

Back