AVerMedia Live Gamer HD owners question

sprak74

Gawd
15-100-100-TS

Does the card allow you to display 1080p@60hz on the monitor while playing xbox360/ps3 games?

Basically, I just want to play xbox360/PS3 games on the my LCD monitor at 1080p@60hz without lagging. I don't care about capturing/steaming the game play. Right now, I have AVerMedia Game Broadcaster HD,

15-100-098-TS

but I get lagging when I diplay the game at 1080p and I believed its the 30hz that's causing it. To get 60hz while gaming on my monitor with my current capture card, I have to set the xbox360/PS3 to output of 720p. Would the AVerMedia Live Gamer HD be an upgrade? Thanks in advance.

Huh? If you aren't capturing why not use HDMI directly to the monitor, or HDMI to DVI if the monitor doesn't have an HDMI input? Why would you run it through that card if you aren't intending to capture with it?

No judging by the spec sheet. The AVerMedia Live Gamer HD just like your AVerMedia Game Broadcaster HD can only output at 1920x1080@30hz.

The reason you can output at 60hz with the 360/PS3 set at 720p is because it takes the 1280x720@60hz input and outputs at 1280x720@60hz which the display in turn upscales to 1920x1080@60hz.

If you do not care about capturing/streaming why not just connect directly to the display?

Huh? If you aren't capturing why not use HDMI directly to the monitor, or HDMI to DVI if the monitor doesn't have an HDMI input? Why would you run it through that card if you aren't intending to capture with it?

Sorry, I forgot to mention my display is 27" Apple Cinema HD that has only mini-diplay port.

No judging by the spec sheet. The AVerMedia Live Gamer HD just like your AVerMedia Game Broadcaster HD can only output at 1920x1080@30hz.

The reason you can output at 60hz with the 360/PS3 set at 720p is because it takes the 1280x720@60hz input and outputs at 1280x720@60hz which the display in turn upscales to 1920x1080@60hz.

If you do not care about capturing/streaming why not just connect directly to the display?

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Guess I can live with 720p then.

The live gamer HD does have a 60hz input and output at 1080p, recording is limited to 30hz

His existing card can also accept 1920x1080@60hz in. They are both limited to "outputting" (recording in this case) at 1920x1080@30hz according to the specs. This is how he is converting essentially from HDMI->DP (form what I understand given his situation) as a workaround as there are no simple direct HDMI->DP adapters. There are capture cards capable of doing this but they are quite a bit more expensive.

Regarding the scaling, most PS3/360 games are basically upscaled and not native 1080p themselves so you are likely not losing much in this case. I don't follow console gaming as much but from what understand 1080p native games are a very small minority.

How do you have the card setup?

The Game Broadcaster HD has an HDMI input and no pass through. The Live Gamer HD has an HDMI Pass through.

For the Game Broadcaster you can get an HDMI splitter, connect it to your xbox and output 1 HDMI to your Monitor and 1 HDMI to your capture card.

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-Technology-Splitter-Adapter-Digital/dp/B00AAIAWCI/ref=pd_sim_e_43

If you are connecting the XBOX to the capture card and then playing through the capture application on your PC then their is going to be a large delay.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
He is using a Apple Cinema Display which has displayport (mini DP in this case, but not exactly important) input only which is the issue. Otherwise he could simply connect directly from the console to the display.

In this case you need HDMI (360) -> miniDP (ACD). This is not doable with an adapter but only a converter (forgot to mention this option earlier). You need to make sure however the converter actually will convert and output what you desire in terms of resolution and frequency.

If you are wondering why the reverse works (DP->HDMI/DVI) via an adapter it is because the connector is electrically compatible between the standards. Many devices (such as Radeons) are Displayport++ in which they actually output a HDMI/DVI signal instead if they detect and adapter is used. The actual signal transmissions between DP and HDMI/DVI are not the same.

Here's my setup:

Xbox360/PS3--- hdmi---> AVerMedia Game Broadcaster HD

GTX680---DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter--->27" Apple Cinema HD

Also have http://www.amazon.com/ATLONA-AT-DP400-Dual-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B003CWEXWO/ref=pd_sim_e_2 for my Hackintosh with GTX480. One of it key features: Xbox or PS3 users will be able to connect to iMac 27" or 27" LED without additional hardware (max. resolution 720p). Guess I'll give this a shot, but now I have to fine a female-female DVI coupler.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back