Averatec 3270 with Vista rc1 works great!

dekard

2[H]4U
Just a note, I've got Windows Vista rc1 running on my Averatec 3270. So far its running just lovely and offering very strong performance. The new interface is lovely and all the new features are just great! This is a highly recommended upgrade and something that was painless!

Here's the details on the hardware I've got in this laptop right now. I have upgraded the ram with 1g and swapped out the harddrive with a 100g model @ 7200 rpm for maximum performance. The units performance rating is very decent and offers at least the same level of performance I was seeing under Windows Xp Professional. Here's the ratings from the Performance Rating tool

Processor: 3.4
Memory (RAM): 3.9
Graphics: 1.9
Gaming Graphics: 1.0
Primary Hard Disk: 4.4

We all knew when we bought these they weren't gaming laptops so there's no suprise in the ratings above. Performance on the desktop is just about the same as under Windows Xp. I'm running dual monitors off of the onboard graphics on my unit with no issues. The second screen is a dell 1707fp, 1280 x 1024 and the main screen is the one built into the laptop, 12.1 @ 1024 x 768.

I've got a 2 gig usb memory stick plugged in which is all being used for the readyboost feature. I can't comment on the effects of this other than to say the unit feels a little spiffier than it did under Xp, maybe thats the ready boost helping But I don't know any way to really test that at this point. I am open to suggestions in case anyone knows how to do this.

Stability is perfect and I've had no crashes since I install Vista (first ran pre-rc1 then upgraded to rc1 without doing a clean install) Microsoft's reliability rating is at 8.59 right now and would be higher except I had a couple of apps close prematurely while i was configuring them. ZERO Issues with the operating system or any of the included software though. Just perfect.

Microsoft seems to be updating this os on a pretty constant basis, I've seen updates on my Vista install on a nearly daily basis some of which are requiring reboots. I have had my Vista install runing nearly one week without a reboot when the break in updates did allow it.

Here's a list of software I've run under Vista.

Microsoft Office 2003
Microsoft Office 2007 Beta
Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006
Microsoft Mappoint 2004
Intuit Quickbooks Premier 2006
Rarlab's Winrar 3.6
Verizon's Mobile Connection Manager with a pc5220 (set to win xp sp2 compatibility mode and no problems at all. Nice!)
Avast Antivirus
Trend Antivirus
Nero 7 pro
Steam, Half Life 2, Counter Strike, etc... (on main pc, not laptop)

And much, much more. If you tried Beta 2 and found it lacking you should try rc1, its a whole new os and works much better. Bottom line is: This operating systems feels ready for prime time.

Anyway, those are my experiences. If anyone wants more details just post here and I'll respond as quickly as possible.

Back