"Average" venice overclock?

NeuroN

Limp Gawd
I've seen some examples of overclocks, but I have no idea what an "average" venice overclock is.

Anyone? Say a 3200+ on stock cooling, and on custom (high end, say xp-120 with a powerfull fan).

I've seen alot of 2.6ghz... and a few 3ghz..
I don't usually read about stuff I can't afford though..

Most of them can hit 2.7-2.8 that I've seen.

A few observations...

Even the ones that can hit 2.8, usually back off to about 2.7 for various reasons.
Stock or aftermarket doesn't matter much, it's still going to clock the same, but you might manage to get it under the normal 30C temps. They're so cool already, why bother? If you're going to do aftermarket, do it for quiet.
Water can sometimes get it stable as high as 3GHz-ish, but that's a lot of work for that last 200MHz, and usually I wouldn't consider it doing much better than stock.
Subzero cooling can go higher but if you had that kind of money you wouldn't be asking about a 3200+ in the first place.

I'm going for a 3200+ cuz it seems good price/performance right now.

From what I've seen a 3200+ clocks aswell as the 3800+ models atleast. Maybe a 100mhz difference, but the price difference is huge.

And I'm probably slapping a xp-120 on it and we'll see how far I can get it.

On a side note, how hard is it to remove the stock fan on one of these things? I dont think I've ever bought an amd boxed (except from a classic athlon of course, and that wasn't much of a choice.... those were kinda tricky to take out though ;) ).

XP-120 is fricking huge, doesn't do any better than the XP-90 either and when/if it ever does it's only marginal. Even at 2.8GHz an A64 isn't going to make more than 30C, tops out at about 40C under extended heavy load.

Stock fans...you just don't install it. Retail pack comes with a heatsink & CPU in a nice pretty box, they're not glued together or anything weird like that.

A 3200, you should be able to set right up to 2.7ish, tweak a few settings, stability test it, game over. From 3000+ to 4000+ they all top out roughly the same place, although the 10x multiplier on the 3200 will make things easier. If you want to surpass that, the San Diego 3700 has double the L2 cache. Other than that they're all pretty nearly the same once overclocked.

ashmedai said:
XP-120 is fricking huge, doesn't do any better than the XP-90 either and when/if it ever does it's only marginal. Even at 2.8GHz an A64 isn't going to make more than 30C, tops out at about 40C under extended heavy load.
Yeah, but there's no reason for me not to put in a huge one really, price difference is non exsistant and the box will be standing in a room and not move anyway.

ashmedai said:
Stock fans...you just don't install it. Retail pack comes with a heatsink & CPU in a nice pretty box, they're not glued together or anything weird like that.
Great I was hoping for that ;)

thanks for all the feedback on this, I'll report back on how far I can get it ;)

If you consider $50 vs $25-30 insignificant, and don't care that it has trouble fitting on most motherboards, knock yourself out. It certainly looks impressive if nothing else.

Don't forget to use the sticky to post your results. ^_^

ashmedai said:
If you consider $50 vs $25-30 insignificant, and don't care that it has trouble fitting on most motherboards, knock yourself out. It certainly looks impressive if nothing else.

Don't forget to use the sticky to post your results. ^_^

I know I like that the heatsink takes up a 1/4 of my motherboard and you cant get at my ram without as big headache. but its pretty :D

Back