Average overclock for D1 stepping 3.2 Northwood?

mikemodano9c

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
316
I just bought one of these and im having problems even getting 3.6 ghz on my AI7. The chips hates any voltage over 1.65...it will just freeze in windows if I give it anything higher...

Its running ~55 under full load prime95 so temps seem fine...

Maybe i should have gotten a 3.0 or 3.2 prescott and dealt with the heat... :(
 
The 3.2's 16x multiplier can really limit overclocking flexibility. What's your divider and RAM type/speed?
 
mikemodano9c said:
I just bought one of these and im having problems even getting 3.6 ghz on my AI7. The chips hates any voltage over 1.65...it will just freeze in windows if I give it anything higher...

Its running ~55 under full load prime95 so temps seem fine...

Maybe i should have gotten a 3.0 or 3.2 prescott and dealt with the heat... :(

I pulled my 2.4c up to 4.06ghz with a 3:4 divider on a p4p800e-dlx 335FSB@3:4 at 2-2-2-6...2X512 BH-5 PC3200. I use a vapochill LS but hey with air, this chip should do 3.7ghz easy, depending on ram, ram timings, etc...chips vary, i agree. But these 30cap MO steppings really cook. Only thing in there other than a SATA 150gb and a liteon DVD is a BFG6800GT. Can you say, happy camper?

w00p!
 
RoundelMike said:
The 3.2's 16x multiplier can really limit overclocking flexibility. What's your divider and RAM type/speed?

im using kingston hyperx pc4000...i tried to underclock the memory (3:2) to make sure the ram wasnt holding me back...

this chip just doesnt seem to like anything over 3.6....at least i got that though...
 
dexx said:
I think you are being generous. 3.2GHz is typical for a 2.4C on air. 3.5GHz for a 2.8C and 3.6-3.8 GHz for a 3.0C

yea what i meant is that 3.6ghz is about where the northwood core starts maxing out.
 
4.2ghz and BH5 ram is a very nice place to be with Vapo cooling . 262 fsb off air i can get 3.9ghz on a zalman
 
3.3 - 3.6Ghz is typical with D1's, unless you have super processor or super cooling.

With a 3.2C you should get 3.5-3.7, so 3.6 is right on where the average is.

Dont give it over 1.6v it wont help any more unless you're using vaporphase cooling.
 
Back
Top