Avast blocking ports? need new AV software.

Menelmarar

Supreme [H]ardness
Upgraded to Vista, have used Symantec Corporate for years, older version of the software, 9 I think. Not vista compatible, and I no longer have access to the latest version.

A couple of weeks ago I tried NOD32. Ran pretty good, fast, but it was buggy, has issues with lots of simultaneous connections and messes with them. Googling I found where people have to turn off parts of it. I'm not paying for something that's glitchy and known not to work 100%. So that got nixed off the list. And I uninstalled it.

Tried Avast. It seems to run good, fdidn't immediately seem like it interfered with my system or performance. But now Remote Desktop is broken... I terminated all of Avast's modules, and I can't remote desktop in from work, or even in from other computers on my local network. These two apps are the only things I've been tweaking with the last few days. Mostly used my home computer for playing Oblivion and SupCom.

Going to be real annoying if I have to reformat to clean them out =(

Those apps had way to much complexity, all kinds of modules and shit, I guess going back to a simple focused AV-only app is best. Symantec v10.2 I think was updated for Vista =( I'm not paying out the ass for a 5pack, why is mexico'ing it the only option they offer.

I would suggest trying NOD32 again.. and this time, just install it and leave it alone. I've seen all the "tweaks" you refer to, however, in my opinion they are not needed. I have been using NOD32 for quite a while, under Vista, and it works flawlessly for me. I RDC into my home machine from work all the time, and I have yet to have an issue with it.

I personally feel that NOD32 is best just left alone, and I think if you give it another chance, you might actually like it. That's just my advice... that's all.

If that absolutely won't work for you... maybe try AVG? I've used it in the past, and it was... well OK...

A couple of weeks ago I tried NOD32. Ran pretty good, fast, but it was buggy, has issues with lots of simultaneous connections and messes with them. Googling I found where people have to turn off parts of it. I'm not paying for something that's glitchy and known not to work 100%. So that got nixed off the list. And I uninstalled it.
:confused: I've been using NOD32 on Vista since the day I installed it and have never had any problems. Actually I've never had problems with it on XP either. Last week I installed their "Smart Security" beta which includes the anti virus, firewall and anti spam. No problems with that either.

Tried Avast. It seems to run good, fdidn't immediately seem like it interfered with my system or performance. But now Remote Desktop is broken...

This almost certainly has nothing to do with Avast.

We use Avast on nearly all our developers comps (except the Macs :p ) and every single one of them uses Remote Desktop all day long with no problems. Been that way for months through upgrades etc. etc.

I've installed NOD32 on several hundred computers including vista and never had a problem. If you think it is an issue, check Wilders Security forums. They host the official NOD32 support forums.

Uninstalled Avast, RDP started working again. Odd.

Got 10.2 Vista version of Symantec, found 3 trojans and 2 spyware things that neither NOD32 or Avast found in their full scans. I still don't understand why they wont sell single copies to people. They'd make a killing =/

Avast also blocked RDP from working for me through an ssl vpn tunnel. Rather than uninstall avast, I was able to just disable the Instant Messaging module. Why that would block RDP I have no Idea. But since I never use instant messaging this is a solution for me.

Wooooowwww serious thread from the past. I've been using MSE for months now.

Back