• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AuzenTech XPlosion for games?

Here's a thread about it:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1018707

I have th X-Mystique, which is the same card, only with Dolby Digital encoding only (no DTS.)

The short answer is, yes, it is awesome for games, and most other things. Having 5.1 digital optical sound output to my reciever is pure joy. On the other hand, drivers are still being ironed out. Be prepared to try a few driver versions (the originals on the CD are the ones I'm using until their next set comes out) before you find the right one for you.

Honestly, if I had the choice again, I'm not sure if it's as worthwhile as it seems. I'd really rather have my $100 or so back again, and simply use stereo optical sound from a cheaper card until a better solution comes out. For the driver issues, lack of EAX and general game support, and loud popping and squealing in certain games and applications, I can't honestly recommend either the X-Plosion or X-Mystique at this point.

What aspect of that card interested you?
 
I was interested in getting 5.1 audio using only an optical or coax cable for games.

I currently have an Audigy 2 ZS which does not supoprt 5.1/7.1 audio using the coax digital outputs while playing games. You have to use the analog jacks.

The DTS-610 is an option but the "lag" factor is concerning - it might not actually be a problem but many people do say they notice it.
 
Okay, so the point was to get 5.1 audio digitally. In that case, yes, this is your best bet. Like I said, drivers aren't too great now, but Auzentech has been cranking them out in good time, and have good e-mail support. For instance, I get a loud screeching noise at times (as I stated earlier), and sent them an e-mail about it. They replied a few days later (yeah, it takes a bit, heh) telling me that they know about the problem, and expect it to be resolved in the next driver set. Whether it is resolved then or not, remains to be seen... :p

However, when this thing does work, it's just what I (and you) want. It does have EAX 1 and 2 support, but not 3 or 4. Therefore, I've had mixed success getting hardware accelleration in games. In Call of Duty 2, for instance, I'm able to enable hardware accelleration, EAX 2, and 5.1 audio (and boy, is that good stuff!) On the other hand, I'm limited to software 5.1 in Quake 4. Support has been getting much better with the newer drivers, however, and Halo is a prime example of that. It went from stereo software only, to full EAX, 5.1, hardware accelleration with just a driver update.

One thing I'd like to point out is that sound quality seems to shift from driver to driver. For instance, the driver set that comes on the installation CD seems to have much fuller, richer bass than the more recent AuzenTech driver sets. I get a normal, full bass amount with the CD drivers, but the newer drivers on AuzenTech's site have, honestly, almost no bass at all with Dolby Digital enabled. (Note that both have about the same level of bass when in stereo mode.)

Anyway, this is getting wordy. You probably have a good idea of what you're in for with the X-Plosion or X-Mystique. In all honesty, my level of satisfaction with my X-Mystique will be judged with the next driver revision. If they can fix my screeching (and bring the bass levels and quality back to the CD driver levels), I'll be MUCH more pleased. As it stands now, all I can say is, know what you're in for. If digital 5.1 is worth the hassle, then you're good. Otherwise, a nice X-Fi is probably in order.
 
Back
Top