• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Auzentech Prelude Gaming Mode

polonyc2

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
30,442
I have an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 card and am a big gamer...does using the Gaming Mode preset really make a difference as opposed to using the Audio Creation or Entertainment Modes?...since EAX is not supported under Windows Vista/7 does the Gaming Mode offer up anything else of significance?

I use the Audio Creation Mode most of the time when listening to music and web browsing and it sounds fine for Gaming as well...am I missing something or was the Gaming preset designed before EAX was rendered useless with Vista/7?
 
X-Fi cards like the Prelude use Alchemy software to allow EAX to function in Vista/7. It usually comes down to personal preference (doesn't it always? :p). Play a few games in Gaming mode and see how you like it. There's a component of Auzentech's driver suite (Auto Mode Switcher) that automatically switches the mode to the desired setting whenever you open a game, app, media file, etc. You just assign Gaming mode to games, Entertainment mode to all your media players, etc. One thing you don't want to do is listen to music in Gaming mode. Not a good sound.
 
X-Fi cards like the Prelude use Alchemy software to allow EAX to function in Vista/7. It usually comes down to personal preference (doesn't it always? :p). Play a few games in Gaming mode and see how you like it. There's a component of Auzentech's driver suite (Auto Mode Switcher) that automatically switches the mode to the desired setting whenever you open a game, app, media file, etc. You just assign Gaming mode to games, Entertainment mode to all your media players, etc. One thing you don't want to do is listen to music in Gaming mode. Not a good sound.

as far as EAX in Windows 7...I thought only certain older titles were supported by Alchemy?...most newer games won't benefit from Alchemy since they rely on OpenAL correct?

so it goes back to my main question of does Gaming Mode offer any improved sound effects in Windows 7/Vista if not using EAX?
 
It depends on the title (whether it uses EAX 4-5 or advanced OpenAL). So for BF2 and BF2142 you'll notice a difference, but not for current Valve games for example.

Of course game mode also allows CMSS-3d Headphone, it's that something you desire. If not then use Audio Creation or entertainment mode.
 
It depends on the title (whether it uses EAX 4-5 or advanced OpenAL). So for BF2 and BF2142 you'll notice a difference, but not for current Valve games for example.

Of course game mode also allows CMSS-3d Headphone, it's that something you desire. If not then use Audio Creation or entertainment mode.

I don't use headphones...so the Gaming Mode does not offer up anything other then EAX effects (and CMSS Headphone)?...no other sound tweaks or changes to the audio kernel to make OpenAL games sound better?
 
I may be wrong, but I believe EAX still works in Audio Creation mode. It's been so long since I've played an EAX game, though, that I really can't recall.
 
OK OK, here is the deal with Gaming Mode, Gaming Mode enables the X-Ram that is used in the soundcard to gain a better performance in games.
 
Only in games that support X-RAM. You can count the number of games that support X-RAM on one hand, as it were.
 
so besides X-RAM and EAX (Alchemy) I take it there are no gaming specific audio tweaks that help Gaming Mode sound better then Audio Creation Mode or Entertainment Mode

so I guess I can just leave my sound card at the Audio Creation Mode preset 100% of the time then, even when gaming
 
so besides X-RAM and EAX (Alchemy) I take it there are no gaming specific audio tweaks that help Gaming Mode sound better then Audio Creation Mode or Entertainment Mode

so I guess I can just leave my sound card at the Audio Creation Mode preset 100% of the time then, even when gaming

There's really no hard and fast answer to this.. it depends on the game, your setup, and your preferences. That's why these options exist.

You certainly are safe though using audio creation mode with EAX on, but I wouldn't rule out trying other settings if you are so inclined.
 
You can test around with the settings, they all have different sounds. I've found for listening to music that audio creation mode is the best, followed by entertainment, and then gaming mode.
 
Back
Top