Automatic Web Redirection

pircio

Weaksauce
Here's what I have

A linux system running Debian with the bash client and a DHCP server. I have not done ANY configuration to it whatsoever.

Here's what I want to do.

We're running a LAN party, and I want to enforce computer registration. The way it's supposed to work is, the DHCP recognizes the new computer hooked up, via mac address, and assigns it an IP address within a specified range. THIS IP ADDRESS MUST NOT CHANGE. It then determines if this IP address has been registered by accessing a mysql database.

That's problem 1, I want it to check the database to determine registration, and I have no idea how to prompt it for that, I know how to create/read from the database, I just don't know where it fits in.

Problem 2: If they are NOT registered, I want it to block ALL connections through any port so they cannot gain access to the network EXCEPT port 80. Then they will be redirected (via their browser) to a webpage which they will enter their name, etc, to register their computer.

So what I really need is to check for registration, then an automatic redirection.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Just make reservations based on mac addresses and have a pool that your firewall will only allow port 80 out.

that won't stop them from playing together on the lan... just from playing on the internet. :confused:

Originally posted by kleptophobiac
that won't stop them from playing together on the lan... just from playing on the internet. :confused:

I haven't reallly thought this through, but how about this.......

run a managed switch that is configured through telnet...

have each port (person) on the switch running their own Vlan. When they authenticate have your database thing run a script which pipes to a telnet session which opens them up onto the 'general lan'.

I'm sure there are prettier ways of going about it, but sounds like this is doable.

GL.

Nah that netreg looks about to be what I am trying to do, might have to do some work to port it over to PHP, I am not too farmiliar with CGI but that doesn't mean I can't learn it. Thanks, I'll try it out soon

A Sonicwall firewall can do this. You can set up accounts on the firewall and set it to deny internet access. When they open their browser.. no matter where they point their browser to it'll point them to a Sonicwall login. Once they enter a login/password they can finally get through the firewall to the internet. The Sonicwall firewall also has DHCP built-in.

Back