Automated network backup software?

Zyzzyva100

[H]ard|Gawd
I have recently come into being in charge of the computers in the lab which I work in (I'm a student in this lab). I have been talking with my advisor, and she wants to have some sort of a backup system for the lab, since there is a ton of data which would irreplaceable if it was lost (plus there would be some very upset grad students).

I plan to just get a cheapie sever from dell, and through a raid card in there, and then do a raid 1 array, and then do periodic dvd backups of the server, and backup the most crucial stuff to the USB drive we currently use for backups.

I need to find some software that will do this for me, though. The maxtor drive we have now has some cheapie software that comes with it, but the new version wont do network backups. I need something that can do a nightly backup on its own, without having to share the folders via windows (unless its passsword protected, and the software just has access). I can buy software for this, but I don't want it to cost more than the server or something. Or, I do have access to legit copies of server 2k3 (all varities) through our msdn subscription, would it be possible to use this to do it using this?

Oh, and one more major thing: This needs to work for Mac too. We have a few dual G4's and G5's that we use on the microscopes as imaging stations. All totalled, there are only probably 10-12 computers that need backing up, but I really have no idea what to get in terms of software.

Thread revival bump. Still hoping to find some software that doesn't cost more than the hardware.

I run this and it kicks ass! it will backup to any device... cdr/dvd/tape/floppy/zip/internal or external hd... anything!
http://www.handybackup.com/pro/

As far as getting it to work on a mac? good luck there buddy. But if you can mount the mac hard drive on the windows machine you can then have the backup program backup that mounted drive/folder on the server that is running this app.

BTW this app can be ran as a service as well.

Back