automated FAH502 installer

rogue_jedi

Supreme [H]ardness
**Zip at bottom of post**

this should install FAH502-Console automatically, as a service, into C:\Program Files\FAH. but we'll see whether it actually works or not:p

here's the files you need: (copy+paste into notepad, then save as the appropriate filename)
just go download the zip please

put all those files, as well as FAH502-Console.exe, in a directory other than root of c: and c:\Program Files\FAH. i don't know how well it'll deal with that yet...

and sorry it isn't more automated, this is just something i did in ~30 minutes. i'm looking at NSIS (at the suggestion of my brother) for a better version. i'll let you know (here) when/if that becomes available.

edit: started glancing through NSIS... :confused:

it'll be awhile before i get that done:(

edit2: apparently it (vbulletin) doesn't like long strings of characters, so the reg key is broken. if you can figure out which spaces to remove, that'll work, but i'm going to find a host so the files can be downloaded properly.

edit3: http://free.angeltowns.com/roguejedi/fahsetup.zip

edit4: fixed reg key, made it silent (doesn't prompt for reg key)

why don't you just write a DOS batch file that runs the installer and pipes in the correct letters/words at the correct time?

all you'd have to do is run through it once and write down the proper responses essentially...

like i said, this is just something i pieced together... and i don't remember how to do that in dos:eek:

and the client.cfg thing works (for now anyways)

Ch1m3r4 said:
why don't you just write a DOS batch file that runs the installer and pipes in the correct letters/words at the correct time?

all you'd have to do is run through it once and write down the proper responses essentially...

How?

Also might want to add something like..

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ScreenSaveActive"="0"

I'm not sure if thats the right nomeclature, but its close.

Can anyone correct me?

/loads up pen drive for some drive-by b0rging.
//with permission ofcourse ;)

edit: Think it's correct now.

would that disable the screensaver, or turn off some powersaving thing that happens when the screensaver is on? (i don't use a screensaver. the monitor goes into powersave on its own, that's enough for me)

if it is worth it and won't change visible behavior of the machine, i'll add it.

Making an autorun file and slapping everything on a 8mb pendrive would be a cheap borg tool.

rogue_jedi said:
would that disable the screensaver, or turn off some powersaving thing that happens when the screensaver is on? (i don't use a screensaver. the monitor goes into powersave on its own, that's enough for me)

if it is worth it and won't change visible behavior of the machine, i'll add it.

Disables the screensaver on the logon screen. The screen saver of the user currently logged in stays the same.

You could add the key to turn off the monitor after xx minutes hiding the fact that the screen saver isn't running at the logon screen though.

i think i'll just leave that alone... doesn't sound like it makes much difference. i can do an autorun, though.

and if you downloaded the zip, please do it again... i forgot to fix the FAH path for the service in the reg key.:eek: should be alright now, though.

ok... the zip now contains an autorun that should work... can someone check that for me?

if you extract the zip and download FAH502-Console.exe to the same place it should work fine. it just doesn't want to autorun a directory on my machine.

rogue_jedi said:
i think i'll just leave that alone... doesn't sound like it makes much difference. i can do an autorun, though.

Makes a huge differance. More than triples the WU time when you have a screen saver actice, especially if its something like the OpenGL demo screensaver..

isn't the logon screensaver just the "Windows XP" thing bouncing around (well, appearing at random locations)? it doesn't seem like that would take that much CPU time.

i guess i could put that in... just later. i wanna make sure this is working for people first.

does the autorun work?

RJ, change the script to this:

Code:
@echo off
echo ----------------------
echo Starting FAH Installer
echo ----------------------
mkdir "C:\Program Files\FAH"
copy FAH502-Console.exe "C:\Program Files\FAH"
copy client.cfg "C:\Program Files\FAH"
regedit /s key.reg
echo -------------------------------------
echo FAH has been added as a service
echo To continue setup, edit client.cfg
echo so that is contains the correct
echo options. To turn on proxy, set
echo active=yes and change host= and
echo port= to the correct settings.
echo big packets may be enabled by setting
echo bigpackets=yes.
echo Restart the computer to start FAH.
echo -------------------------------------
echo Good luck!
It doesn't require write access to the root of the drive, that's why.

ok... was wondering what the reason for the change was... and i was planning to streamline it anyway (eventually)

thanks. gimme a minute and i'll have it up.

edit: k its up

As you all can see, YES I am too lazy to walk all the way up the stairs.

Absolut said:

same way any batch script works, be it dos or unix.
I'd have to sit down and look at it (don't have time right now, have to wrap presents)
but basically you'd do something like

fah502.exe < install.dat
and install.dat would have username, team number, assorted config options (such as 'y' when it says do you wish to install as a service)

Unless I’m mistaken, and I frequently am, I think you need to add the switch –forceasm in there. I recall reading that when running as a service if the program gets dumped for whatever reason that switch will help keep/restore the max performance settings.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember that topic coming up when the service mod was added.

Luck

i took that into account in my installer;) that's part of the reg key.

and chimera: i might eventually do that for the client.cfg file, but until then... not gonna bother. it works (AFAIK anywho)

OK, how do i make it autorun?

I put the files into C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\fahsetup.

What do i do now? Does just running fahsetup.bat do it? I've been having problems getting packets.

FAKE EDIT: I know that i have to change client.cfg

rogue_jedi said:
i took that into account in my installer;) that's part of the reg key.

and chimera: i might eventually do that for the client.cfg file, but until then... not gonna bother. it works (AFAIK anywho)

hey, whatever works best, dos batch scripting just happens to be what I know better, tis all

apHytHiaTe said:
OK, how do i make it autorun?

I put the files into C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\fahsetup.

What do i do now? Does just running fahsetup.bat do it? I've been having problems getting packets.

FAKE EDIT: I know that i have to change client.cfg
i don't know if the autorun actually works. it doesn't work on folders anyways.

just running fahsetup should do it.

you did get the packet issues fixed, right? i saw the other thread.

/sorry, no [H] tag here. in o[h]io.

unhappy_mage said:
i don't know if the autorun actually works. it doesn't work on folders anyways.

just running fahsetup should do it.

you did get the packet issues fixed, right? i saw the other thread.

Well, i had just run the setup... put it into c:\folding

Now it is getting packets, so i'll try the other program. I'm sure the other program that RG wrote is better than just running the f@h 5.02 setup. And yes i'm getting packets :D !! W00t!

So, just checking, the fahsetup.bat WILL do the registry thingie?

No [H] tag 4 me either, i'm @ school doing some tech work....

TY 4 teh help!

apHytHiaTe said:
So, just checking, the fahsetup.bat WILL do the registry thingie?
Yep. Luck with the folding. :D

WooHooo it's working! I borged a friend's computer too!! Moar Ghz 4 teh [H]orde!!!! w00t!

^^^^
EDIT!! I GOT MY TAG!

apHytHiaTe said:
WooHooo it's working! I borged a friend's computer too!! Moar Ghz 4 teh [H]orde!!!! w00t!

^^^^
EDIT!! I GOT MY TAG!

Congrats on the tag. And not a bad one at that!

Back