Autoloader Backup Strategy

S|ntax

[H]F Junkie
We were just given an 8 tape autoloader. I am trying to figure out the best way to manage the tapes as far as loading and labeling. I am mostly looking for other people's expierences and tips. Currently we only have 8 tapes (right now only filling one a day, that will probably change soon) but are expecting 16 more. I was thinking of setting up three sets something like set a, tape 1, set a tape 2, etc, set 2 tape 1, .... Anyone have any adivce?

At my work we have an 8 tape setup and we have M-F backups, a Saturday weekly backup, and a Sunday monthly backup and then a cleaning tape in the 8th slot. Never had a problem, guess we could have a semi-annual tape just in case...

Our system is going to be a bit more involved then that. We are going to be using more then one tape a night very soon and will need to keep more then one set of tapes in case we need to go back a few weeks. What you have listed is very similiar to what we have now, I am interested people with knowledge of more advanced procedures.

What time frame do you want on your data retention?
I do a two week rotation with a monthly backup that lasts for 6 months.

(this might get more attention in the storage subforum)

This schedule has worked well for me in the past.

Monday - Full backup
Tuesday - Incremental backup
Wednesday - Incremental backup
Thursday - Incremental backup
Friday - Incremental backup

Repeat the above evey week.

The backup for each week week goes offsite for 8 weeks (then the tapes are recycled).
The last backup of each month (last week of the month) goes offsite for 12 month's (then the tapes are recycled).

This scenarion requires a lot of tapes and is not for everyone, but it can be easily adjusted by subtracting some time from each of the categories (i.e., 2 or 4 weeks offsite instead of 8, 3 or 6 months offsite instead of 12).

Back