AUTO voltage on GA-EP45-UD3P is killing my cpu

Bakku

Limp Gawd
I happened to launch Gigabyte's Easy Tune 6 this morning and found something horrifying. The motherboard is setting the VTT to 1.5v and VPLL to 1.7v by itself. I went straight into the BIOS and start checking every voltage settings on the menu. Prior to this discovery, I've only fiddled with Vcore and DRAM voltage to stabilize my OC, and I left everything else to AUTO, thinking that it would keep all other voltage settings to default. I was wrong.......so damn wrong.

It turned out that the VTT and VPLL voltages were overvolt by a large margin, which could potentially lead to hardware degradation :( To sum it up, I've been running my CPU with dangerously high VTT and VPLL voltages for over a month, including multiple stress test sessions, I can only imagine the damages has been done.

just a heads up, please check your voltage if you are OCing and have voltage settings set to AUTO in BIOS.

Well if the chip was not overheating, it's probably fine. Some chips can take more than others, it all depends on leakage.

So what your saying is we should set all our voltages to normal (if we are not modifying the voltages manualy)??

I did this on my new system (less then a day old) I set all the voltages to normal just to make sure it didn't mess with any of the voltages. I still have stock cooling on the chip till I can get a new HSF for it so I don't want to push the CPU TOO far.

So what your saying is we should set all our voltages to normal (if we are not modifying the voltages manualy)??

Yes. You should always do this. No offense to the OP, but it's pretty much a given that modern motherboards will automatically raise any voltages left at auto when the FSB is raised. The only way to keep them at stock is to set them manually.

Good info to have as I just ordered my UD3P today. My Asus P5B Deluxe does the same damn thing, I thought Auto set Vcore and everything else to it's default volts. Thought I had a pretty golden Q6600 since I could overclock to 3.2 or 3.4ghz on "stock volts." Then I look at the CPUz volts and it's cranking something like 1.57v on the CPU core and some ungodly high northbridge volts that I can't remember. So I learned that Auto just means the board will set the voltages as high as it wants, not just to stock.

Does Easy Tune also report what the RAM voltage is?
Yes it does.

I've learned my lesson. I noticed that the Vcore is adjusted according to OC level. the increase in Vcore is quite reasonable and sometime I considered it conservative. However, I feel that UD3P is a bit too aggressive in increasing voltages for Vtt and Vpll. Anyway, I've changed all voltage settings to the default value, everything looks good so far.

Two things....
One--- Easy Tune from Gigabyte.... ugh.

Two--- Easy Tune from Gigabyte.... UGH!

I've helped a friend with his OC on his UD3P and he too was using the Easy Tune 6 tool for his OC.

I got his E8400 running stable around 1.31v @ 3.6 on air without any problems. IIRC he had it set to around 1.44 or something (as it was being reported.. maybe even higher)

But... morale of the story--- Tune it yourself folks, the Gigabyte tool is not the best way to get a stable OC.

But... morale of the story--- Tune it yourself folks, the Gigabyte tool is not the best way to get a stable OC.

Most of us don't overclock via software. We use that utility as a reference in regards reading to our voltages and fan speeds.

never use auto for those two settings.

everything else is fine, i use it as guidelines for finding the lowest voltages to stress test.

and well, the gigabyte tool is AWESOME for getting the best OC because you can adjust all the voltages without rebooting. if there are any other programs that do this, please let me know.

just dont use auto or their presets.

thanks for the info. my GA-EP45-UD3P arrived today... very kewl looking! waiting on the rest of the parts to start my build... should be much faster than my P4 3.2 :)

Agreed with SolidBladez and DoomzDayz.

1. I didnt auto oc via Easy Tune 6, I manual OC my cpu. I set AUTOs for voltage settings in BIOS and the motherboard is very aggressive on the Vtt and Vpll values.

2. Easy Tune 6 is a great tool to do on-the-fly clock/voltage/fan adjustment, the only thing it cant do probably is to change memory timings. Just use ET6 to OC the crap out of your cpu then set it permanently in the BIOS after you find the OC sweat spot.

thanks for the info. my GA-EP45-UD3P arrived today... very kewl looking! waiting on the rest of the parts to start my build... should be much faster than my P4 3.2 :)

My UD3R arrives this week. Farewell socket 939 =(

Most of us don't overclock via software. We use that utility as a reference in regards reading to our voltages and fan speeds.

Understood. Point being is programs like that jack stuff way out of their proportions and could cause damage or failure if not put in check.

Plenty of other software utilities out there such as RealTemp, Speedfan and so forth allow you to read the voltages and fan speeds without risk of damaging something on your board.

Understood. Point being is programs like that jack stuff way out of their proportions and could cause damage or failure if not put in check.

Plenty of other software utilities out there such as RealTemp, Speedfan and so forth allow you to read the voltages and fan speeds without risk of damaging something on your board.

Why do you keep misunderstanding that Easy Tune is at fault. IT IS NOT. it's the motherboard BIOS that is adjusting the voltages when you have things set to AUTO, regardless if you use Easy Tune or not. Easy Tune actually helped me to discovery the issue because it's the only software on UD3P (AFAIK), which shows voltage values for Vtt, Vpll and other uncommon stuff. The fact is, if I didnt have Easy Tune installed, there is no other possible ways for me to find out Vtt and Vpll readings.

If you dont find Easy Tune suit your taste, just dont use it and stop claiming Easy Tune will cause hardware damage because IT DOES NOT. There are people may find it useful and handy under certain circumstances.

Back