Auto Under Clocking

seancky2

Limp Gawd
I am using an x4 955 in my machine and I let this beast run 24/7 since I torrent. I was wondering if there was any way to "under clock" it when I am sleeping at night or something?

Also, isn't there some way to make it so only 1 core runs when you are not utilizing the cpu that much? Is this automated already or is it a setting I need to enable and tweak?

Thanks for the info.

isnt the idea of AMD Cool n' Quite to downclock your CPU when your not using processor power ???

i dont personally use it since im always doing BOINC when im not there, but have tried before and it did that atleast.....

isnt the idea of AMD Cool n' Quite to downclock your CPU when your not using processor power ???

i dont personally use it since im always doing BOINC when im not there, but have tried before and it did that atleast.....

The only problem with AMD's Cool 'N Quiet is that you don't have any real control over it. Phenom IIs idle at 800Mhz with 1.0V by default, but I found that I can run 1GHz at 0.850V which means even less power consumption at a higher speed.

I need to mention that I am using the Corsair H50, which needs to run at a full 100% at all times. On their forums everyone says to NOT use AMDs cool n quiet. Will the program you mentioned above be ok?

Phenom IIs idle at 800Mhz with 1.0V by default,

So they already do this by default? Without cool n quiet enabled, or any tweak-age?

I need to mention that I am using the Corsair H50, which needs to run at a full 100% at all times. On their forums everyone says to NOT use AMDs cool n quiet. Will the program you mentioned above be ok?

So they already do this by default? Without cool n quiet enabled, or any tweak-age?

As long as you have Cool 'N Quiet enabled in the BIOS and Window's power option set to default/balanced, it's enabled. I don't know why the people on the Corsair forum told you to disable CnQ, but it's not good advice. The only reason I use PhenomMsrTweaker is because I like to customize my idle speeds. If you don't need to do this, just use whats already built into the chip.

I don't know why the people on the Corsair forum told you to disable CnQ, but it's not good advice.

Because the pump uses power from the motherboard pin outlets and if CnQ is enabled it will not run at its full potential..right?

As long as you have Cool 'N Quiet enabled in the BIOS and Window's power option set to default/balanced, it's enabled. I don't know why the people on the Corsair forum told you to disable CnQ, but it's not good advice. The only reason I use PhenomMsrTweaker is because I like to customize my idle speeds. If you don't need to do this, just use whats already built into the chip.

CnQ doesn't play well with overclocking which is why you disable it when you overclock. Besides that, phenom tweaker is much better at underclocking anyways.

CnQ doesn't play well with overclocking which is why you disable it when you overclock. Besides that, phenom tweaker is much better at underclocking anyways.

That was true in the old days. With the advancements made to Phenom IIs power delivery and general CnQ teaks, it doesn't effect overclocking. With the dozen or so Phenom II based computer I've built and overclocked(not all mine unfortunately), I've yet to see a situation where it interferes in any way.

Because the pump uses power from the motherboard pin outlets and if CnQ is enabled it will not run at its full potential..right?

No

Back