Auto start/stop not working?

danswartz

2[H]4U
This is very odd. So I patched up my fresh install of 5.0 with the recent roll-up package. After mounting the datastore on the SAN, I went to software => advanced => Virtual machine startup/shutdown. I clicked on the box to allow VMs to start/stop with the host (like I've always done before.) Moved 'em all up to the Automatic Startup section. I had to shutdown to finish shuffling some disks around on the SAN box. I was dismayed to see the power off happen almost instantly. When I rebooted, I logged into the vsphere client as soon as I was allowed too, and saw.... Nothing. None of the VMs were starting. I verified that they were all still in the right section and the startup box was still checked. Any ideas what I should be looking at? Thanks...

No one else has hit this? Be nice to have some reassurance this is at least acknowledged as a bug :)

honest answer: People use autostart? :eek:

That being said, it's known, it'll be fixed.

Yeah, people use autostart. Not to be gripy here, but how else would you do this if you're running a small setup (soho) using the free license? (or maybe even low-end paid like essentials?)

Given how horrendously buggy it was, most enterprises forsake it long ago - it's locked up in the closet where the old SCO disks are :p

It used to be that restarting hostd would reboot every VM that autostart managed. It was BAD. Really really bad.

Okay, showing my ignorance here, how else does one do this? Some kind of scripting through vcenter or some such?

Okay, showing my ignorance here, how else does one do this? Some kind of scripting through vcenter or some such?

I shutdown my hosts each night and the only thing I have that autostarts is vCenter. I let HA restart it for me once the hosts come up. Guess that doesn't really help for free users though :p

No one really does it - the machines never get shut down :) Or they write a script that boots everything, I guess.

mine works fine, i use it for untangle when im not home (Weekends at the girls place, etc etc.)

If yours works fine, I assume you haven't upgraded to the rollup package (or aren't running the free license?)

This is a case where vSphere was designed with enterprise in mind, if you have a large number of host there is very few reasons if any at all to shut down an entire cluster. It's not an option for me. Our VM's must remain up during anything and everything.

whats the need for the rollup? I have had 0 issues with my server thus far. why mess with it?

There were several major bugfixes, including (so I was told) fixes to the iSCSI stuff (maybe that was wrong.) Just because you've not had issues doesn't mean no one else has.

There were several major bugfixes, including (so I was told) fixes to the iSCSI stuff (maybe that was wrong.) Just because you've not had issues doesn't mean no one else has.

I patched both my lab hosts tonight, and both of my servers are still slow to boot with iSCSI LUNs attached even with Update 1. :(

if it is Nexenta/Comstar i can definatly see where you are going with this one lop...

I have seen some badddd Juju when using anything outside of CIFS/NFS with Nexenta/Solaris based software... also that nastly lil bug the havent fixed with overloading the iSCSI transport with a few sVmotions and boom the iSCSI Channel Drops (requires to drop/readd lun or reboot) and it hasnt truly been fixed on Comstars end yet from them.

if it is Nexenta/Comstar i can definatly see where you are going with this one lop...

I have seen some badddd Juju when using anything outside of CIFS/NFS with Nexenta/Solaris based software... also that nastly lil bug the havent fixed with overloading the iSCSI transport with a few sVmotions and boom the iSCSI Channel Drops (requires to drop/readd lun or reboot) and it hasnt truly been fixed on Comstars end yet from them.

Yeah, ditto. Same with IET too, it seems.

QNAP T459 Pro II

IIRC, the QNAP stuff uses the IET, does it not?

Yeah, ditto. Same with IET too, it seems.

IIRC, the QNAP stuff uses the IET, does it not?

From everything I'm seeing, that seems to be the case. I'm not familiar with IET though so I'm going to do some edumacating of myself on it. I don't seem to have any other issues with iSCSI on this thing except for that. I don't get drops during svMotions or other strangeness.

Back