Auto DVD/BlueRay Backup Solution

hatchi

n00b
Hi,

I Have searched every where but it seems what I am looking for is either not invented yet or I am using the wrong keywords for it.

I simply want a backup system similar to any LOT5 (tape ) solutions.
Something similar to PowerVault ML6010.
but with one difference:
The media should be DVD and/or BlueRay instead of tape drives.

I have found many duplicator solutions but these solution main purpose is to duplicate DVDs/BR while what we need is to backup data automatically to DVD/BlueRay.

The main reason for this is that the backup media (DVD/BlueRay) should be as cheap as possible. Also as portable as possible
as it will be mailed daily to overseas destination.(Due to many reasons the media couldn't be returned to us)

I hope the idea is clear

Thanks

Backup Exec, Retrospect and Arcserve will all backup to any path, bluray included. How many discs do you expect your daily backup set to be? Are you looking for a drive that does multiple discs as well, or will you be changing the discs daily as needed?

Hi mwroobel,
The options you mentioned will resolve the software part of the issue but still we need fully automated hardware solution.

We need a hardware to take a set of DVDs (lets say 100 DVD) and start the backup on them one by one automatically (no need to change the dvds) and at the end of the day or the week we will go to the device and get the burned dvds.

Automatically changing the DVD is very important part of the solution since the server will be on the data center and accessing the server is not very easy.

Thanks

Hi mwroobel,
The options you mentioned will resolve the software part of the issue but still we need fully automated hardware solution.

We need a hardware to take a set of DVDs (lets say 100 DVD) and start the backup on them one by one automatically (no need to change the dvds) and at the end of the day or the week we will go to the device and get the burned dvds.

Automatically changing the DVD is very important part of the solution since the server will be on the data center and accessing the server is not very easy.

Thanks

I don't think you are going to find anything like this. The closest thing you might find is something like an autoloading duplicator that you might hack to write live data instead of copying existing data. In any case, even thinking you might use 100 (~500GB) dvds, you would be nuts to spend thousands on a robotic dvd loader when you could do the same thing with an LTO4 (or LTO2 or 3 depending on capacity needs) drive or even a well packed hard drive for fractions of the price.

Hi,

I Have searched every where but it seems what I am looking for is either not invented yet or I am using the wrong keywords for it.

I simply want a backup system similar to any LOT5 (tape ) solutions.
Something similar to PowerVault ML6010.
but with one difference:
The media should be DVD and/or BlueRay instead of tape drives.

I have found many duplicator solutions but these solution main purpose is to duplicate DVDs/BR while what we need is to backup data automatically to DVD/BlueRay.

The main reason for this is that the backup media (DVD/BlueRay) should be as cheap as possible. Also as portable as possible
as it will be mailed daily to overseas destination.(Due to many reasons the media couldn't be returned to us)

I hope the idea is clear

Thanks

Hi,

Which keywords were you using to search?

I think this is what you are looking for: Acronova Nimbie USB

It's a CD/DVD auto loader with 100 disc capacity, priced around $500~700 (There is a USB 3 Blu-ray model, NB21BR, for about $1,000).

Hi,

Which keywords were you using to search?

I think this is what you are looking for: Acronova Nimbie USB

It's a CD/DVD auto loader with 100 disc capacity, priced around $500~700 (There is a USB 3 Blu-ray model, NB21BR, for about $1,000).

Thanks for the info, Quasi. This nimbei thing could be something I need~

They got two models, the regular USB version and USB plus, it seems the only difference is USB 2.0/3.0 interface... They are also running a $100 off promotion for the standalone model, seems like a good deal... decisions, decisions...

Back