Aurora case window sucks

haadij404

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 3, 2006
Messages
2,280
I know, I know, they are called case windows... i had a brain fart when creating this thread lol
--
Well at least on the Gigabyte Aurora 570. I Just got mine the other day and finished installing everything in there today. What a beauty! Gigabyte gives you a see through plastic side panel and a mesh one. I really thought the plastic one would look really cool so i used it. I just sold my old Antec P180, while it nice, it just wanted something a bit sexier but i did get good temps with the antec and i was hoping for better the gigabyte.

After 5 minutes to let the case heat up (idle) the temp went from 43c (summer right now, ambient temps are 80F) to 53c at IDLE. It would top out a 56c on orthos in the p180 and this case was gettin 60c+ after 10 minutes of counter strike. I could feel the plastic heating up and it was way too hot. I was kind of sad though because of the case design. It is a low pressure case, so there is one intake and 2 exhaust and they are all fairly weak fans. There is not really any air flow when the plastic side panel is on, which kind of sucks. No way Im sticking extra fans in there, i want it quiet. But its still a damn sexy case.

So I stuck on the mesh side panel and voila, the temps are now 40c (idle) and 55c (load) and i gotta say, just having the plastic side panels really freaking heats things up :eek: . The cpu/vga coolers pull in the cool air from outside and it makes all the difference. My temps are better than the antec and its quieter.

The moral of the story is plastic side panels suck and yeah, if i do wanna put the see through on again, is there anyway to manage temps?
 
I got an antec 1000AMG with a plastic side panel and my ambient case temp at idle is about 33C with an ambient room temperature of about 20C.
 
first off, its not the plastic side panel. its the fact that you had a closed system. a steel, wood, etc solid side panel would have given the same results. the mesh side lets heat escape the system more efficiently since its an open air source. im sure a plastic side with holes ((if such a thing exists)) would work very well also. 1 drill, a few minutes of work and you can have a plastic side with air holes.
 
I got an antec 1000AMG with a plastic side panel and my ambient case temp at idle is about 33C with an ambient room temperature of about 20C.

Its probably a higher pressure case so its not soo bad.

first off, its not the plastic side panel. its the fact that you had a closed system. a steel, wood, etc solid side panel would have given the same results. the mesh side lets heat escape the system more efficiently since its an open air source. im sure a plastic side with holes ((if such a thing exists)) would work very well also. 1 drill, a few minutes of work and you can have a plastic side with air holes.

I think its the fact that the plastic window is pretty useless the way gigabyte designed. Low airflow, bad heat conductor (plastic windowl) = high temps. There is no way to use it without modifying which kind of sucks. But yeah, most fully enclosed cases are high pressure to compensate. but the aurora is not :(

But yeah its an amazingly sexy, spacious case. if the window allowed for air flow, this case would be the greatest every...
 
Back
Top