Auria 40" 1080p LCD HDTV $379 + FREE SHIPPING @ NEWEGG

Looks like a pretty decent deal. I like all of the inputs being on the bottom with none on the side.

I'd order two of these if we were already moved into our new house. Oh well, maybe in 2-3 months I'll get a 42" for the same price.

It's a good deal for the size, but the viewing angles concerns me.
Viewing Angle 170°(H) / 160°(V)
I'd expect 178° for an IPS panel, which means this is probably a TN. For me, viewing angles on a TV are much more important than for a monitor. With a TV you've got to deal with moving around, as well as multiple viewers in multiple locations.

See, my concern is... I know nothing about Auria, and there seem to be very few reviews of their televisions just in general - the ones I did find are not good, either. So, yeah.

It's a good deal for the size, but the viewing angles concerns me.
Viewing Angle 170°(H) / 160°(V)
I'd expect 178° for an IPS panel, which means this is probably a TN. For me, viewing angles on a TV are much more important than for a monitor. With a TV you've got to deal with moving around, as well as multiple viewers in multiple locations.
Not a TN panel, it's either a misprint, or VA panels have hit a new low in quality, likely a misprint though. There are still no mass-produced TN panels 32" or larger, so as long as you stick with 32" or larger then you are safe. It's the little 26" or 28" TV's you have to beware of.

Still, the savings you get with this TV would be swallowed up by the aftermarket warranty that you would literally have to purchase for it, a person would be playing Russian roullete if they didn't since the TV is so low-end. Aftermarket repair parts? Forget it, they don't exist, this is a throw away TV, a warranty company would either re-imburse you, or get you a whole new TV.

My suggestion to those who are interested would be to price out a 3 year SquareTrade warranty, add that cost to the TV price, and see if you are still tempted to purchase.

Back